Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

Chrono Trigger for DS

• 7 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts
  1. What do you think? I'm on the fence about it. PSP seems like a more logical platform, though I'm certainly not complaining.

+
  2. Looks like a straight port. Which is alright, I guess. In my mind, the cost there is portability. Still, with the two SO games releasing for PSP, and having played through CT multiple times, I don't think I'm going to bother.

+
  3. It's been quite a while since my last run through of Chrono Trigger, even if the memories of the game will probably persist into my next life. I essentially creamed my pants when I heard the news and experienced the nostalgic countdown website. There wasn't even much disappointment when I heard they were planning nothing more than a port. The fact that Square hasn't yet forgotten about one of my most cherished videogames struck a soft spot for me.

Actually, I'm glad this is just a port with a few DS gimmicks; I'm afraid that Square would taint one of my favorite titles with an improper remake. Guess I'm one of those ridiculous extremist fanboys in that sense, but I don't know what I'd do if they found some way to make a new generation of gamers revile a true classic like CT.

Instead, this generation will get a chance to experience the same magic that entranced and captivated us all those years ago, perhaps paving the way to more awesome Chrono games. So yeah, I'm really enthused about this. And it feels like this is the first time I'm genuinely anticipating something of Square's in years. Good feeling.

+
  4. When you remake an old product, and/or adapt it to a new medium, there are two approaches you can take. You can opt to completely rehash the original, adding nothing new to the overall experience, using the same storyline, same graphics, same characters, whatever, while still trying to update it to modern tastes, in which case you produce a product which is generally inferior to the original (a la MGS: The Twin Snakes) or you can opt to take something that everyone knows and loves in a bold new direction, still keeping some characters, story elements, etc. from the original, and most importantly still keeping with the spirit of the original, but creating something that is fresh, shiny, and new. The best video game example of this is the Gamecube remake of Resident Evil, but anyone who has seen both versions of either the Mummy or Invasion of the Body Snatchers will also know what I am talking about.

While a port of CT will certainly be nice, I'll probably buy it at some point, it just frankly doesn't excite me. If squenix would produce a new twist on this classic, even if it was a terrible gameplay gimmick that everyone hated, it would at least be a fresher experience than the same game we've all been playing for almost fifteen years.

If you ask me, Squenix really, really needs to stop re-releasing their games right now. I'm sure the thought over there in the Squenix offices is that these ports will introduce a new generation to the game with minimal work on their part, but realistically, all the people who didn't play CT (or Valkyrie Profile, or FF's I-VI, or any of the other stuff they've re-released) when it came out, but wants to play it, simply downloaded a ROM and Emulated it. For the most part, the only people buying the re-releases are the diehard veterans who have already played these games a thousand times, and frankly, I haven't bought many of them, and Squenix will quickly lose me as a customer if they can't start exciting me with new products again.

Sakaguchi leaving doesn't have to mean the end of all things good in the company, but the others still within the company don't seem to feel the same. Which, of course, brings one to wonder the age-old question: Is Square Dead? (Sorry, I just couldn't resist :-))

+
  5. +
  6. +
  7. Awesome to the max.

+
  8. Log in to post a reply.

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #1944 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close