Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

The Chzo Mythos (or: The X Days a Sauerkraut series)

• 12 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts
  1. Ok, the time has come for me to shed the light of the videogam.in community unto these bitchin' free indy games, from none other than Ben Croshaw, creator of Zero Punctuation (say what you will, but those things are damn funny).

Now, the first of these came out waaaaaay back in 2003, so there's a decent chance someone here may already have heard of these, but what the hell. I just found out about them recently. The Chzo Mythos is a series of horror adventure games for people that don't really like adventure games that much (and for people who do). Most of the puzzles are more logic-based than inventory based and the items you do have to find aren't particularly fiendishly hidden.

The series starts off with 5 Days a Stranger(MMMMmmmmmmmmmmm), wherein the badass british cat burglar Trilby gets stuck in a haunted mansion with 3 other blokes, and they start to be hunted down by a masked killer a la Jason Voorhees. Only its much much more complicated than that, and far, far cooler.

Then the series jumps four hundred years into the future, with 7 Days a Skeptic(MMMmmmmmmmmm)where a spaceship with a light skeleton crew is plagued by an unknown force that slowly picks off the crew, a la Alien.

At this point, with Trilby's Notes(MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm), we jump back to a few years after the original game (and yes the games must be played in this order) where Trilby has become a paranormal investigator on the government's payroll who gets sent to a hotel with strange connections to the long burnt-down DeFoe Manor, and that seems to exist in both our dimension, and a shadowy, twisted mirror of our own (a la Silent Hill).

Sadly, the series here quickly deteriorates, with 6 Days a Sacrifice (EEEWwwwwwwwww), pulling out a very unsatisfactory ending to what was otherwise a brilliant series.

I'll be honest, I love these games, and I think everyone here should at least give 5 Days a whirl (especially considering the price), but the games are a bit like the Matrix trilogy. The first game is, storywise and characterwise, probably the best. It also stands on its own very well. Yahtzee could have never done any sequels and we all would have been just fine. Even after 7 Days, there could have been no MORE sequels and we still would have been fine. But then Trilby's Notes comes along, which is a bit like the Matrix Reloaded, except better. It's a bigger and badder game in its setpieces, and the scope of its plot, and I would call it the best game in the series. However, if you play through TN, you pretty much have to play 6 Days, which is awful. There's hardly anything positive I can say about 6 Days, except for it resolves one of the plotlines from 7 Days pretty well. Other than that, you have the unneeded ruining of one of the coolest characters to grace indy gaming, Trilby, you have none of the characters from the first three games doing what they should, extremely awkward pixel sex, and to top it all off, 6 Days just isn't SCARY like the others...

Anyways, go play 5 Days, now. My rant is over.

+
  2. Mister Domino, your pedantic search for indy gold is heartening and inspiring. God bless you.

+
  3. I find it more often than not. I will never cease to be amazed at the crazy awesome shit brilliant people give away for free.

+
  4. Ok, come on, people. These are free games. You people need to play them! They cry out to be played! ALL THEY WANT IS A GOOD HOME!!!

+
  5. Who are you talking to? There's like three people here.

+
  6. you, Nels, Son_Gara, FireVixen, Rahul, Ziyad, LC, Meth, and anyone else who's posted on the new site.

+
  7. Well I was kinda thinking about getting Aquaria off Steam but I don't play that much these days :(

+
  8. These are free-er. And they'll take less time to get through. Assuming you don't get too stuck on the puzzles, we're really only talking 3-4 hours per game. Very good investment of time.

+
  9. Mr_Domino said:
    Ok, come on, people. These are free games. You people need to play them! They cry out to be played! ALL THEY WANT IS A GOOD HOME!!!

And where might I find these free games?

+
  10. Well, you could check out the truly epic videogam.in coverage of these masterpieces, or you could go directly to Fully Ramblomatic and download them from the games section. The choice, as always, is yours.

+
  11. Mr Domino, I will look into it, your efforts are not lost. Thanks for the look out on finding genuinely creative experiences that only cost us our time to experience them.

+
  12. Just fyi, The Chzo Mythos - Special Edition, which previously required a donation to the author's site, is now free. They include the original games with developer commentary modes, the soundtracks to each game, as well as concept art and background material. Plus, the special editions include a new expanded ending for 6 Days a Sacrifice which makes...well, I guess it makes a little bit more sense than the horrendously ambiguous original. I think.

I'm just enjoying the excuse to replay 5 Days a Stranger.

+
  13. Log in to post a reply.

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2022 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close