Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

Final Fantasy XII Exclusive to Japan in 2009!

Poll Question: Are you:

1. 14.3%1
  2. No Votes
  3. 14.3%1
  4. 42.9%3
  5. 28.6%2
7 Votes
  • 45 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts

Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  1. +

2. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  3. First of all, in your topic title you said XII. I'm assuming you meant XIII.

In don't think anyone who played FF12 can complain that FF itself is getting repetitive. XII was bold and adventurous; clearly the most amazing tangent the series has ever taken. What some are complaining about is that FF13 is devolving to the "zippers-and-hairspray aesthetic of the Nomura/Kitase/Nojima alliance that rules the series."

+

4. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  5. They need some time to revamp it into a FPS.

+

6. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  7. You know, that idea is...strangely intriguing. My first thought is that it would be shit, but then Legend made the Wheel of Time game as an FPS, and it ended up being awesome, so you never know. FPS's can still be RPGs. It might not be as ludicrous as we're all thinking initially.

Or maybe I'm just stupid.

+

8. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  9. I think that FFXIII is going to have to go above and beyond to surpass FFXII, but I'm a fan, so I'm still really looking forward to FFXIII. Besides, I personaly don't mind the zippers and belt buckles.

+

10. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  11. I still greatly prefer games that play in 3rd person over 1st person. In Fallout 3 and Oblivion, I would run around in 3rd person as much I could. I would only go to 1st for actions the game made way too clunky to do in 3rd, which I was never happy about.

+

12. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  13. I really like Resident Evil 4/5's over the shoulder view, other then that I prefer 3rd person as well. Would RE's over the shoulder view count as 3rd person?

+

14. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  15. What, you didn't see this coming?

+

16. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  17. I DISLIKE ALL OF THESE OPTIONS

Im gonna be playing SF IV like all year, so whatev (plus, my backlog is the stuff of legends)

+

18. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  19. HELL YES!! I can't wait for SF IV! I have to get either a Xbox 360 or PS3 first though. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the 360 first. I would very much like to kick Sony in the ass for not making the PS3 backwards compatible. How exactly am I supposed to play my PS1 and PS2 games when they stop producing the PS2? And before anyone says something, I did my research and the only PS3's that are backwards compatible with both PS1 and PS2 games (Model #'s: CECHE01 and CECHA01) are no longer in production. The current 80GB PS3's are only backwards compatible with some PS1 games.

And Rahul, I guess I should have expected it, but at the time of this topic post, my female need to bitch took hold and I couldn't help but share that with you folks. ;p

+

20. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  21. Yeah my 60 gig is backwards compatible to perfection, shame about the new ones though (which is why I bought mine as early as I heard they were going out of production)

PS1 emulation is there on ALL versions though, and its perfect. Dunno were you read that but its false.

Ill be getting the ps3 version of SF IV, cant play fighters with the 360 controllers.

+

22. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  23. Sony.com is were I got my info. They have a search engine on their site were you can type in your game to see whether or not it is compatible with the PS3. If it is compatible it will tell you if there are any glitches that will occur and whether or not they have a patch to fix said glitch. The only PS1 game that I can remember off the top of my head that they didn't have a listing for was Resident Evil 3: Nemisis.
    I really wanted to buy a PS3 when it first came out for the very reason you gave Xavi, I just didn't have the money to drop on one at the time. For right now, I'm going to go ahead and buy a Xbox 360 pro and a brand new PS2. I have a game shop in my area that will repair damaged systems, so if I buy a new PS2, it should last me for awhile and I can just get it fixed later if it decides to crash on me. I'll probably still end up buying a PS3 eventually once the price goes down, or at tax time next year.

+

24. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  25. I already bought a 160GB PS3, and I love it even without backwards compatibility...I still own my PS2 anyway. (PSN name DM_Chief if anyone wants to add me).

I'm not too worried about FF13 not going out of Japan in 2009, i think I'm more displeased with the fact that the FF13 demo that's packaged with Advent children:Complete is Japan only. the release date is farther away from the states than for Japan, the least they could do is give us a demo to compensate for lost time (it couldn't hurt to package a demo with a movie everyone already owns anyway to help move units...), but I understand localization and time constraints could cause issues...

+

26. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  27. Yeah, if you're going to get a new PS2 anyway, I would go with a PS3 if there aren't any 360 exclusives that interest you. Plus, if you have any interest in FF XIII Versus it's probably only going to be on the PS3.

Cactaur, I'll add you next time I'm on. My PSN is E1NHERJAR.

+

28. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  29. Off the top of my head, the only PS3 exculsives I'd be looking forward to off the top of my are The White Knight Chronicles, Heavenly Sword, Resistance: Fall of Man, and Little Big Planet. Metal Gear Solid 4 should be coming out on Xbox 360 soon enough and Left 4 Dead, Dead Rising, Oblivion, and Fable II are all Xbox 360 exclusives that I'm also looking forward to. Both systems have exclusives to offer, but for now, I'm going to have to go with the Xbox. It's cheaper, and I've been wanting to play Fable and Oblivion for awhile now.

+

30. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  31. Oblivion is multi-platform.

+

32. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  33. Not only is Oblivion on PS3, but the graphics got a considerable updgrade as well.

Plus Blu-Ray, free online ... Its close to be sure, but PS3 is a better option for me.

+

34. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  35. This whole "Console War" is really starting to bug me (ok, so it has bugged me for a while now). It is like people think if you didn't pick the right console you'll be stuck in an oubliette with nothing to do for the next few years. And I don't know about you, but it seems to me if you are at the point where a $300 electronic device is affordable, I am pretty darn sure you could afford a $400 electronic device instead without too much extra effort.

+

36. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  37. I've loved Sony and have been buying Sony products ever since the original PSX, but to be honest, the non-backwards compatible thing pisses me off just enough to go Xbox. That, and PlayStation has always been known for their large gaming library, but they don't have that anymore. PS3 has lost many of their 3rd party exclusives to Xbox 360, or games that were once exclusive are now multi-platform. Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, and Resident Evil are the most well known examples of this. That's another reason why I'm going to wait a year until I get my PS3, beside the fact that the price should drop by then.

Nels--- > The only reason I'm even able to buy an Xbox360 is because of tax season. W/ a 3 game bundle, an extra wireless controller, and battery pack charger it's going to cost me $420 w/ shipping and handling for an Xbox 360 Pro 60Gb. Where as w/ the PS3 it would cost me at least $100 - $200 more then that for the same amount of equipment. Plus, I'm going to go ahead and get a new PS2 for $140 w/ shipping, because mine is about to die. I don't know about you guys, but I have to have a PS2. When the urge to play Chrono Trigger or Tenchu 2 comes up on me, I have to answer! The same goes for Okami, and other good PS2 / PS1 games. That's another thing! If I were to get a new PS3, I wouldn't have enough money to buy a new PS2.

+

38. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  39. Uh, MGS4 isn't multi platform.

+

40. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  41. I wish I could get it on my GameBoy Color.

+

42. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  43. ....yet....

seriously though, I doubt Kojima productions is even going to bother attempting to port MGS4 to Xbox360, Kojima is already working on two new non-MGS related games.

+

44. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  45. There have been tons of articles in the past talking about porting it to the Xbox 360, but you are right. There is no guarantee they'll port it to Xbox 360.

+

46. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  47. @ FireVixen: How many more weeks of pay would you need to save up the extra money (assuming you factor in bills and all that jazz)?

+

48. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  49. I think Nels is making a "proposition". I didn't realize this was that kind of site... I blame Matt for encouraging this type of transaction.

+

50. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  51. Well, it's not that I couldn't save the money. It's that I would attempt to save it, and end up spending it on something else more important, and then end up w/ no system at all.

+

52. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  53. I'm to blame for propositions for prostitution? Well, ok, I'll accept the blame. I did write these forums...

+

54. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  55. I am not of the opinion that the consumer's ability to save money should be factored in, since a good consumer should know how to save money when appropriate (i.e. when they want something). However I suppose since you actually have that problem, it can't be ignored. You should really work on that though :S

+

56. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  57. Well, stuff comes up you know? It's not that I can't save money, because I have before, it's that everytime I try to save something comes up. Debt is a bitch! Truth be told, the money I'm spending on a new system, would wipe out a little of my debt, but I'm greedy and want something for me out of my taxes. I'm sick of paying bills, and not having anything for myself to show for it.

+

58. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  59. From 1UP:

"Final Fantasy XIII is looking to be a showpiece for the PlayStation 3, and Square Enix is confident that it will push the system to its limits. Kotaku reports that, speaking to Japanese magazine Dengeki PlayStation 3, producer Yoshinori Kitase addressed some questions about the game. "Doesn't the demo use about 50 percent of [the PlayStation 3's] power?" he said. "Of course, I think the retail version will make use of nearly 100 percent."

As a comparison, he commented that this game will be to the PlayStation 3 what Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X were to the PlayStation and PS2, respectively. But, he reassured that the game won't require disc swapping, at least on the PlayStation 3, due to the capacity of Blu-Ray and PS3 harddrive space.

Sony CEO Kaz Hirai recently made waves when he commented that the console was made "hard to program for" in order to pace the flow of taking full advantage of the console. Square Enix has usually been a trendsetter when it comes to packing punch on Sony's systems. If Final Fantasy XIII does take almost full advantage of the hardware, we can bet other developers will take it as an example to follow.

The other elephant in the room, of course, is the Xbox 360 version. Since it will be ported after the PlayStation 3 version is finished, it probably isn't on the minds of the developers. But if the game is really pressing the PS3 that hard, we'll have to see if any compromises are necessary for the 360."

I think he meant FFXII rather than FFX.

+

60. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  61. Yeah, I got a nerdgasm when I read that off their site. Also, the comments section on the article is hilarious. It is filled with all sorts of angry fanboys/antifanboys. I am an optimist about many things, and this game is one of them. Direction my country is going, kids these days, economy, etc. not so much.

+

62. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  63. It'll be good. I'm perfectly willing to wait for greatness though.

+

64. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  65. This comment really made me think that there is some sort of rivalry going on within SE when Kitase goes out of his way to put one of his games on a pedestal. To tout that FFX is the be all end all of RPG gaming tech on the PS2 is a pretty crazy statement when compared to FFXII.

If FFXIII is to the PS3 what FFX was to the PS2 then I am fully prepared to be underwhelmed.

+

66. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  67. I don't know. I was very impressed with FFX at the time it came out. Though I really hope it is true the figured out how to optimize the technology this early in the game. We may actually get to see FF on the PS3 at some later date in which the developers could spend lots of time on the important stuff like gameplay and narrative, instead of trying to get the graphics to look pissed off.

+

68. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  69. List of character names featured in FFXIII:

Lightning
    Sazh "Afro" Katzroy
    Snow
    Gadeau
    Lebreau
    Vanilla

Oh, you silly Japanese people! Snow isn't the name for a person!

+

70. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  71. And Lightning is?

+

72. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  73. In almost all of my classes I have kids that chose for their English name "Snow". There's also plenty of "Sunny"s, "Apple"s, and even a "Poppin Dancer". I balked at those names until I realized that Snow, Apple, and Sunny were translations of their Chinese names. I don't think Poppin Dancer was his Chinese name, but the kid stopped coming to class so I guess I'll never know.

Maybe it's an Asian thing...

+

74. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  75. Poppin Dancer? If that kid ever comes back, nickname him "Crunk" or "Crunkin' "

Maybe all those names I once thought were crazy were just staggeringly progressive and part of a plan to rid us of bible references and latin roots. Oh SE, you guys are such trendsetters.

+

76. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  77. For those who are interested, FFXIII's demo is now up and running live on this site.

EDIT* Ok, that link above is fudged now, THIS link should do it.

+

78. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  79. I am completely lost as to what they were trying to do with the fighting system. It's more like FFXII than I think they want to admit, but the additional things they added just seem unnecessary. Why do they have the fight screen switch instead of just having the fight on the battle field in real time? The whole running around during the fight is just weird too. It made sense in FFXII because the characters moved independently, but when you're issuing commands to multiple (4?) characters but the camera only follows Lightning it seems like that could get incredibly confusing especially when your party is fighting enemies that aren't even on your screen. The multiple commands for attacking looked taxing too say the least, and the developers said that as you level up you get more chain slots? If you have a four person party with five slots apiece and you have to make twenty command choices just to get through one group turn, that sounds bad... really bad.

Hopefully, there will be something closer to the Gambit system and a camera angle button to give you a more overall view of the action. Otherwise, I think grinding is just going to be a huge train wreck.

+

80. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  81. +

82. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  83. Dean said:
    I am completely lost as to what they were trying to do with the fighting system. It's more like FFXII than I think they want to admit, but the additional things they added just seem unnecessary. Why do they have the fight screen switch instead of just having the fight on the battle field in real time? The whole running around during the fight is just weird too. It made sense in FFXII because the characters moved independently, but when you're issuing commands to multiple (4?) characters but the camera only follows Lightning it seems like that could get incredibly confusing especially when your party is fighting enemies that aren't even on your screen. The multiple commands for attacking looked taxing too say the least, and the developers said that as you level up you get more chain slots? If you have a four person party with five slots apiece and you have to make twenty command choices just to get through one group turn, that sounds bad... really bad.

Hopefully, there will be something closer to the Gambit system and a camera angle button to give you a more overall view of the action. Otherwise, I think grinding is just going to be a huge train wreck.

Hmmmmm. Well apparently Motomu Toriyama had a recent interview on EDGE magazine and he mentioned that the demo is old code and that it only sports 30% of the battle engine. I'm not trying to make excuses here, it's just a source I got from another forum. Take what you will with that.

+

84. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  85. Matt, watch the youtube videos from the demo to check out the fighting system.

Pugz, man I hope that doesn't mean the final is 70% more complicated than it already seems.

+

86. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  87. Here's some more info on what the battle system will entail in the final version of the game.

+

88. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  89. I found it interesting Amazon allows you to preorder the game right now and lists the release date as 12/31/2009. I am sure this release date is just a placeholder and not actually representative of the actual release, but I found it funny Amazon is already set up their ability to take our money for the game.

EDIT: It is even outselling games that are already on the market!

+
    • ???
    • Sat December 4, 2021

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2030 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close