Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

Who Watches The Watchmen?

• 21 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts
  1. Well tomorrow's the big day, Watchmen finally hits theaters and its rock. I've been wanting to see it ever since I saw the preview for it during the dark knight. I finally got around to reading the comic for the first time about a month ago and loved it. It looks like it'll follow the comic exactly, which is fucking awesome. This movie is gonna be the shit! I'm sure I am not the only one excited about it.

+
  2. They changed the ending. high-five

+
  3. Ziyad said:
    They changed the ending. high-five

Alan Moore allowed that?

+
  4. Alan Moore stated that he wanted nothing to do with the movie and even went so far to say that he wouldn't even go see it when it came out.

+
  5. Movie was great, very very faithful to the comic. If you dont like the movie you probably wouldnt have liked the book.

And yeah, the most changes were towards the end, but the message sent is the exact same, if anything this way of wrapping it up makes a bit more sense.

+
  6. the ending wasn't changed per se, just the plot device to that ending...all the better for it in my opinion. I keep reading all these 1 star reviews and listening to people bitch about this movie. it's pretty comical that people are expecting this action packed superhero story played out with tons of violence because it's directed by the guy who did 300, and then being disappointed because that's just not what the Watchmen is. All I keep hearing is childish remarks about Dr. Manhattan's dong all over the screen and how long the movie is....if moviegoers can't see past the penis, and see the film that lies beyond I think we're in for a rough couple of years as far as movies are concerned

+
  7. I saw it last night and loved it. I did wish they had used the ending from the book, but oh well, maybe they thought it might of been too "comic-bookish" of an ending to use. Other than that I was very impressed with how closely it stayed true to the comic. The guy they got to play Rorschach was perfect, it was like he has born for the part. I'll definately be seeing it again soon.

+
  8. I thought the movie was excellent. Though for some reason I enjoy nitpicking it way more than other movies I thought were great.

As for Alan Moore, he is egotistical, anti-American, hypocritical, and a crybaby. However, his understanding of the comic medium is unparalleled. So I give him respect where respect is due, and try my best to ignore his childish behavior elsewhere.

+
  9. Well 300 was a total shitfest, and Sin City wasn't much better, so if Watchmen manages to make the cut as a decent flick I think Alan Moore should be forbidden from the recreation of any of his previous work. Just as Lucas and Spielberg.

+
  10. Matt said:
    Well 300 was a total shitfest, and Sin City wasn't much better, so if Watchmen manages to make the cut as a decent flick I think Alan Moore should be forbidden from the recreation of any of his previous work. Just as Lucas and Spielberg.

But Alan Moore doesnt want **any **of his books to be recreated in film ... I dont get where youre coming from.

+
  11. The opinion of a complete comic geek:

The book: I first read Watchmen, oh, about six years ago. Have read it at least a dozen times since then. It is, without a doubt in my mind, the greatest work of graphic fiction to ever grace the hearts and minds of humanity. It is also, in my opinion, an unfilmable book. Trying to make a movie of Watchmen is like trying to make Citizen Kane into a video game. What works and is brilliant in one medium is not necessarily so in another. Watchmen worked as a work of imaginative fiction because of Moore's inherent understanding and mastery of the comic book medium. He used everything about comics that makes them comics to their fullest potential in that book, and there is no possible way that any film could ever fully do justice to such a blatant masterpiece.

The film: Now, all that being said, Snyder's interpretation was about as much, and perhaps even a little bit more, than we could reasonably expect. Overall, I enjoyed the film, but I had serious issues with it. I thought the violence in the movie was far too much. I realize that this is America, and Americans have to have their daily intake of gore and disgusting slaughter bits, but I found several scenes in Watchmen to be downright repulsive. Everyone I've talked to has defended the film's violence, stating 'well, the book is just as bad'. I disagree. Show me where in the book Silk Spectre shoves a hoodlum's bone out through his forearm, or where Rorschach takes a meat cleaver to a kidnapper's head (six times, most in-camera), or where said kidnapper's dogs fight over a child's leg with flesh and shoe still attached, or where Rorschach's would-be assailant's face is burned off in-panel, or where a man's hands are sawed off. The film could have done without these moments and more. It would have been just as powerful, with the exact same message, without trying to shock me with the amount of tomato juice they can photograph.

The author: Alan Moore is an undisputed genius, but he's also an asshole. I enjoy his works, but I try not to pay any attention to anything he does in our world. I do, however, agree with him that his works should not be adapted. Watchmen was already perfect. There was no reason at all to make it into a film. It didn't need a film. However, I think it a bit silly that Moore refused to even have his name listed in the credits. If you watch the opening, it says 'based on the graphic novel co-created and illustrated by Dave Gibbons.' No mention of our bearded friend.

Useless trivia 1: It's not surprising that Snyder left out the minor subplot involving the original Silk Spectre changing her name to 'Jupiter' so the world wouldn't know she was polish. However, if you look carefully, when Nite Owl is viewing Silk Spectre II through his goggles, it lists her name as 'Juspeczyk', which was her 'real' name in the book.

Useless trivia 2: The driving force behind getting the movie greenlighted, as well as one of the screenwriters for it, was none other than David Hayter, who you all will no doubt be more familiar with as the American voice of Solid Snake.

+
  12. I tried reading the comic last year, but failed to get through the whole thing by the movie's release. What a monster of a graphic novel. Thing's fucking dense. Startlingly thought-provoking in ways you'd never expect of the medium.

This was a damn good movie, in my book. There were cringe worthy moments littered throughout it (soundtrack, lookin' at you), but when it was good, it was really good. In spirit, it was totally Watchmen. Nearly all of the casting choices were spot-on, and the deliciously dark/grimy atmosphere of the graphic novel came to life flawlessly.

I'd say there were many things in the comic that defy the very thought of a film incarnation, but the fact pulled a generally good movie out of that clusterfuck is really something to be in awe of. It's not a perfect, mind blowing adaptation of what everyone's calling 'best graphic novel of all time' these days... but as Mr. Domino said above, a perfect adaptation of Watchmen would be near impossible to achieve. For what this movie is, it's awesome. For what it isn't, well, fuck that. Read the graphic novel.

The movie was good enough that a flock of people are going watch this and get interested in the original work, paving the way for more exposure and appreciation of Alan Moore's masterpiece. And that's just what it should do.

The guy they got to play Rorschach was perfect, it was like he has born for the part.

Couldn't agree more.

+
  13. I saw it last night. I thought it was pretty good. I read the comic several years ago so I don't remember every scene but it seemed like it hit all of the key points. I was afraid that they were going to cut out the part with the prison psychologist talking to Rorschach since that was like a whole comic in itself, but I think they summed it up pretty well in the brief time they had. I wasn't disappointed by the ending.

The soundtrack was a little weird. I think they probably should have invested a little more time into digging up music from the 80s that fit the mood rather than putting in songs from the 60s and 70s. When they were playing a disco song during that riot scene, all I could think was "Why am I not hearing a Minor Threat or Black Flag song?"

I read a lot of reviews that lamented on the horrific violence in the film... it wasn't that bad. It's not as bad as something like "Irréversible."

+
  14. Xavi said:

Matt said:
    Well 300 was a total shitfest, and Sin City wasn't much better, so if Watchmen manages to make the cut as a decent flick I think Alan Moore should be forbidden from the recreation of any of his previous work. Just as Lucas and Spielberg.

But Alan Moore doesnt want **any **of his books to be recreated in film ... I dont get where youre coming from.

Sorry -- confused Moore with Miller there. Didn't he write and readapt V for Vendetta though?

+
  15. Matt said:

Xavi said:

Matt said:

Sorry -- confused Moore with Miller there. Didn't he write and readapt V for Vendetta though?

His name wasnt in the credits, so I dont think so

Maybe in "From Hell" though

+
  16. Dean said:
    The soundtrack was a little weird. I think they probably should have invested a little more time into digging up music from the 80s that fit the mood rather than putting in songs from the 60s and 70s. When they were playing a disco song during that riot scene, all I could think was "Why am I not hearing a Minor Threat or Black Flag song?"

In the graphic novel at the end of each chapter is a quote from a famous song or songwriter, the soundtrack mirrors those songs/styles of songs. It's one of those 'attempt to pack the movie with as much of the graphic novel tidbits as possible' type deals. I thought most of it was well placed (the intro credits, the funeral scene, the flight to Antarctica). As for the riot scenes, I was a bit disappointed they took out Dr. Manhattan teleporting everyone to their homes from the capital. The DVD is said to have an additional hours worth of footage that was cut from the final version though, so any worries about content being cut will have to be addressed after the DVD hits shelves.

+
  17. I will admit that I haven't read the comic, since I just can't afford to spend the money on a comic, as opposed to something a little more important, like food...
    However, I did do some research online and read up between the differences between comic & film. Until I get the opportunity to read the book itself, I reserve judgement to compare later on down the line.

So, what'd I think of the movie itself? I enjoyed it immensely. I really enjoyed the characters (especially Rorschach and The Comedian). Now, I wait impatiently for the DVD release (and to see the Black Freighter in all its glory).

+
  18. I'd have to agree with Mr. Domino here even though I haven't read Watchmen nor have I seen it either, but I know a lot of my friends have said the very same thing and if I could make a comparison, its like someone trying to make a film adaption of PKDs Ubik. No fucking possible way. I've heard that his daughter is planning to do exactly that, and by golly is she gonna fail, it's virtually impossible. The concept, story and characters are placed far too deep in the classical fiction novel roots for it to be translated into a film context, too much would be lost just by the limit of the film's length time. 5 hours wouldn't even cut it.

+
  19. WB didn't make enough off of Watchmen so they've decided to never again do a an R rated superhero movie.

That's some good thinking WB. Man, this is why I can't wait for the Oldboy remake with Will Smith... without the violence... or the incest... starring the guy from Hutch. I'm feeling a little dizzy.

+
  20. heh...hutch

+
  21. Anyone play the demo of the game yet? Nothing special, just your standard run of mill walk around beat-em up, but still entertaining none the least. I liked how the cut scenes were in like a comic book form and how they had the same actors from the movie doing the voices in the game.

+
    • ???
    • Thu November 26, 2020

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2051 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close