Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

Summer Movies

• 25 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts
  1. A lot of big movies have come out in the last few weeks. I have to say most of them have been pretty disappointing.

I had high hopes for Star Trek but it fell short in so many ways. I knew Wolverine was going to be bad but I didn't think it was going to be THAT bad. Terminator Salvation was okay but the only thing that really saved it was the cinematography and Sam Worthington's performance.

+
  2. Waiting for Pixar's 'Up'. That should just about round out the summer for me

+
  3. I enjoyed Star Trek. Yes, it was dumb. Not to be flippant, but its a summer blockbuster. Deal with it. It was an enjoyable fun ride, and just the kick in the pants the Star Trek franchise needed to reinvent itself and become relevant again. All good myths and legends reinvent themselves for new generations. Star Trek is only proving that it holds up to that reinvention. I say this not as just some guy, but a born Trekkie (my joke has been that now I'm a born-again Trekkie). I was raised on classic Trek and Next Gen, and I was as skeptical as anyone going into the new movie.

Horribly Scientifically innacurate? Check.
    Shoots all the previous established canon in the head and still manages to mess it up a bit? Check.
    Fantastic use of apocalyptic brand lava lamp goo as a Special Effect? Check.
    Brilliant Casting? Check.
    A fun ride? Check.
    Better than Spock's Brain? Double...make that Triple Check.

Terminator, on the other hand, I didn't enjoy too much. Thoroughly enjoyed the cinematography (a camera that doesn't shake wildly during an action sequence? What a novel idea!), but I wasn't as impressed by Sam Worthington as everyone else seems to have been. Mostly, the movie was just way too intense. It never let up enough. I feel like there might have been a good story hidden there somewhere, but they were too concerned with putting lots and lots of robots on the screen for it to really show through. Arnold's 'cameo' was great, though. Overall, it was a decent, fun movie. About as good as could be expected after T3 so messed up the direction for the storyline...

Very much looking forward to Up.

+
  4. Star Trek wasn't bad per se, there were just a lot of things in it that kept me from enjoying it as much as I thought I would. Prepare for nit-picking the likes of which you have never seen:

• The set design was awful. The Enterprise bridge looked ridiculously small and cheap. Nero's ship bridge looked like just a bunch of stuff randomly placed on the floor of some warehouse. The interior of his ship made no sense at all.
    • I didn't get the Nero character. So after he blows up Vulcan and Earth... what happens? It's strange that he vows revenge against the (seemingly) one person that actually wanted to save Romulus.
    • I can't remember if they ever even explain anything about who Nero is and what the ship he's flying was designed for (it has tons of fire power but then also drills into planets)?
    • The lens flares got ridiculous after a while. At first you're like "Cool!" after the next 70 times it seems a little lame.
    • I would have liked a lot more back story for the other characters. Spock and Kirk are the two most explored characters in the Star Trek mythos. This was the perfect time to address some of the other crew but they didn't. Uhura they did a little, but even that was vague and ultimately disappointing.
    • The end where after Kirk has been in Star Fleet academy for like ten minutes and suddenly he's the captain of the Enterprise.
    • The camera is literally 5 inches from Chris Pine's face in every shot.

Best part of the movie was Karl Urban as McCoy and Quinto as Spock. They were perfect.

After all is said and done I expect most of these problems won't exist in the sequel. I would have preferred a more comprehensive reintroduction but now they can focus more on the story without worrying about appealing to a new audience.

+
  5. eh. I had no problems with the set design. The Enterprise Bridge was perhaps a wee bit smaller than the original, but, frankly, its a military ship. I don't really think it looked cheap. As for Nero's bridge, see below.

See below.

Nero was a Romulan miner. His ship is a mining vessel from about 120 years after when the movie is set. That's why the only defenses it really has are missiles (which are still more than enough, since they're super-advanced by comparison). He wanted to kill Spock because he felt Spock betrayed him, when in actuality, Spock was merely unable to convince the Vulcan council to help save Romulus in time. That 'flashback' sequence was actually pretty important.

Granted.

eh. Just like with the X-Men movies, you have to start out with really introducing the public to the most popular central figures, than you can branch out a bit. That's the problem with Team movies.

That's like my one big problem with the movie. A much better way to end it would have been for Kirk and Co. to return to the Academy, but have Pike say something along the lines of 'keep this up and you'll have a command of your own some day...maybe even the Enterprise...' and then next movie can be a few years later, as Kirk is taking command.

Granted, again.

It will be interesting to see what they do for the sequel. Actually, what most intrigues me is whether or not they'll use the Gary Mitchell character...

+
  6. P.S - Up was excellent

Also: LENS FLARES!!! MY EYES, MY EYEEEESSS!!!

+
  7. I guess I'd better update this:

Transformers 2 could be one of the worst movies ever made. Its not even a good idea to see it ironically. Whoever wrote it just broke out the big book of action movie cliches. I especially like the part where the government bureaucrat is mouthing off to a 25 ft robot telling him how out of line he is.

Wolverine was a clusterfuck of terrible writing, acting, and casting. I'm glad they're going to make a Deadpool movie with Ryan Reynolds since he had 2 lines in the movie. Maybe in his own movie he can explain who the fuck he is, since there apparently wasn't time in this outing.

I've never walked out of a movie before. Not even Hellboy II. But never has the desire been so strong than when I was watching the Half Blood Prince. The price that I paid to be there and the fact I was with other people were the only things that kept me through to the end. Total waste. I thought it was interesting that the writer and director thought that, rather than focusing on an actual story, we'll make the audience sit through 2 hours of a poorly acted highschool romance comedy. I've decided that I'm going to skip the last two movies. Same director + same writer = same disappointment.

The Hurt Locker is good. I wouldn't say it's "the greatest war movie ever made" like I heard before seeing it, but then again I heard the same thing about Jarhead. Still check it out.

I haven't been able to see Moon or The Brothers Bloom since those are "fringe" movies. And apparently aren't something a sane person would watch.

I haven't seen The Hangover but considering that it has been in the top ten ever since it was released, I'm assuming its good.

The one glimmer of hope left for me now is District 9. It looks like a movie that is the antithesis of everything a summer blockbuster is suppose to be. No Hollywood actors, independently produced, low budget, and a storyline that looks very intriguing.

+
  8. I loved the bad guy's plan in Transformers too: "Let's blow up the Sun and destroy the Earth!" "We wanted to take over the Earth to begin with, but now blowing it up (with us on it) seems like a much better plan!"

+
  9. District 9 - Because, honestly, who remembers V or Alien Nation these Days?(TM)

+
  10. Drink in this year's movies, because according to The Economist this will be the last time for a while that we're going to be getting anything risky and original. The recession has eliminated recent capital ventures in Hollywood wherein studios and investors shared financial risk, and as a result film studios are eliminating projects of creative risk. Additionally, the number of movies that will be in production will be fractioned by at least 1/3. Next year's movies are going to suck.

+
  11. Who cares, man. Next year we're getting Iron Man 2 and in 2011 we're getting Batman 3. Nothing else matters.

Edit: and I didn't even start on the slew of new Pixar awesome headed our way, starting with Toy Story 3

+
  12. Yeah, Pixar more than makes up for it. They're supposed to be adapting a Phillip K. Dick story at the end of their current run of movies.

+
  13. Be sure to check out the Tron: Legacy trailer on Apple trailers. It will blow your ass off.

+
  14. Definitely looks cool, but...Tron 2.0. That was the shiz, and shall forever be the shiz.

+
  15. Rahul said:
    Who cares, man. Next year we're getting Iron Man 2 and in 2011 we're getting Batman 3. Nothing else matters.

Edit: and I didn't even start on the slew of new Pixar awesome headed our way, starting with Toy Story 3

You'll care when the only thing you'll be able to see in 2010 is some rehashed superhero shit, like Iron Man 2 is sure to be.

Pixar is hit-and-miss. Although Finding Nemo and Wall-E are great, Cars was the stupidest fucking shit I've ever seen, save for Ratapootie. A Bug's Life wasn't so great either, and Toy Story 2 was a disappointment compared to the original; if they are making a third one I have little hope for it.

+
  16. Yeah, way to rain on our fucking parade here, Matt...

+
  17. I'm looking forward to the onslaught of Mad Max style post apocalyptic movies (and video games). The Road, The Book of Eli, and that new Judd Apatow movie where Seth Rogan has to wander a wasteland being unfunny to all he encounters. I'll watch those while I'm playing Rage, Fuel, Fallout 3, and Borderlands. Ah Hollywood and the American gaming industry, not an original idea to be found.

There are a few more bright spots on the horizon:

The Box
    Holmes... maybe
    Where the Wild Things Are
    A Serious Man... maybe, I thought Burn After Reading was terrible

Inglourious Basterds might be terrible but hopefully not. If anything, I applaud Tarantino for doing a fictional WWII movie. I'm sick of the whole "True Stories of WWII" that get churned out every year. Where are my mutated nazi super soldiers and the robot armies of the japanese? If I have to sit through another film about how hard it was living in XXXX country during the war and how the characters managed to overcome, I'm going to give up on the whole war genre altogether. (Flame and Citron wasn't bad but it definitely had these sorts of leanings)

+
  18. Holmes and Where the Wild Things Are are going to be either brilliant or absolute shit. I really don't see there being any middle ground. If, by any chance we get lucky with either one, then there shall be much rejoicing.

Also, I don't believe Nine has been mentioned yet, and that has me thoroughly excited.

+
  19. Some of the casting in Holmes has me worried. I mean Rachel McAdams? Really? Is there some shortage of attractive, talented actresses? Instead we get stuck with the B version of Jennifer Garner.

I don't know how Where the Wild Things Are could fail with what Dave Eggars and Spike Jonze went through to do it their way. It definitely looks like the type of kids movie I grew up with (ie Time Bandits) more than the slapstick, advertising tie-ins they market to kids now. I'm pretty optimistic.

You'll have to be more specific about which Nine you mean. Do you mean:

1. The new musical starring Daniel Day Lewis
    2. The animated movie
    3. The District where they keep the aliens
    +
  20. I'm really looking forward District 9 and Inglourious Basterds.

+
  21. The Tim Burton animated movie, with Elijah Wood, Christopher Plummer, and Martin Landau.

+
  22. Matt said:

Rahul said:
    Who cares, man. Next year we're getting Iron Man 2 and in 2011 we're getting Batman 3. Nothing else matters.

You'll care when the only thing you'll be able to see in 2010 is some rehashed superhero shit, like Iron Man 2 is sure to be.

Pixar is hit-and-miss. Although Finding Nemo and Wall-E are great, Cars was the stupidest fucking shit I've ever seen, save for Ratapootie. A Bug's Life wasn't so great either, and Toy Story 2 was a disappointment compared to the original; if they are making a third one I have little hope for it.

Iron Man 2 is not going to be rehashed superhero shit!!! It has Robert Downey Jr. AND Scarlet Johannson. There is no greater combination of sex appeal in this universe. The movie is going to be about Robert Downey Jr. being awesome and drunk, and it's going to involve an awesome flying metal suit. On top of that it has the esteemed queen of respectable female acting, Gwyneth Paltrow. As if that weren't enough, Sam mother fucking Rockwell is in this movie. Not only is Sam mother fucking Rockwell in this movie, but Mickey Rourke, the creator of badassery, is the primary villain. And to top it off, the most immaculate casting ever is also involved in the form of Sam Jackson as Nick Fury.

So screw your 2010 depression b/s!!! Iron Man 2 may be the most promising superhero movie ever short of The Dark Knight

+
  23. Rahul, I must admit I'm not entirely sure how serious your last post was.

I do think it will be good, but as far as Scarlett and Sammy go...

...See, I just sat through The Spirit last night.

+
  24. I saw GI Joe last week. It was jawdroppinly awesomebad. I don't want to give away any of the awesomely bad jokes, but it can be quite hilarious. Just let go and have fun :)

+
  25. How long has James Cameron spent making Avatar? Wow, aliens portrayed as Native Americans. What an original idea. I'm glad they also hyped the shit out of the CGI for this thing, and what we get are cat-smurf people with body glitter.

I hope he didn't actually spend ten years on this. That would be sad.

+
    • ???
    • Thu November 26, 2020

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2066 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close