Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

Majora's Mask is magnetic

Poll Question: Does Majora's Mask rock balls or what?

1. 42.9%3
  2. 57.1%4
  3. No Votes
  4. No Votes
  5. No Votes
7 Votes
  • 14 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts
  1. For reasons that continue to bewilder me, I find myself playing this gem of a game every year, or consistently going back to it in some way or another. Ocarina of Time is a good game, but ultimately it can blow me; Majora's Mask is where it's at. Probably the clincher for that ever-cliched 'best in the series' argument for me, though it's a tough call between it, A Link to the Past (classically epic) and Link's Adventure (frustrating-as-fuck-throw-controller-so-hard-that-the-TV-explodes epic).

But yeah, I really treasure that negative 10 karat gold plastic, cheaply holographic MM cartridge I have. Probably the game in my library I'd be least willing to part with.

So let's talk about it, because I know I'm not the only rogue fanboy that never stops drooling over this Zelda game (could be denial here, but hey). Or, discuss how I'm a raging homo for slapping down OoT. Or the Zelda series in general (word on the street is the new one's gonna suck?). Or talk about the games that you find yourself unable to part ways with / games you'd sooner get married to than a sexy Brazilian chick. Anything at all! Hell, just talk about something, you lazy fucks.

edit: Well shit, option 3 on the poll used < > tags for parantheses as in "Psh, (insert non-N64 Zelda game here) makes Majora's Mask its bitch" but I guess the site stripped that part thinking it was faulty HTML. Just so you know. I'd edit to fix it, but apparently polls can't be edited?!

+
  2. I couldn't get into it... though I never beat Ganondorf's castle in OoT, so...

I just felt overwhelmed while playing it. Monitoring time and all that jazz freaked me out. My brother claims it isn't that hard (and I believe him) but I still never was able to resolve to playing it again. It seems like he plays it ever Christmas when we are home from college. So he probably agrees with you.

+
  3. For me, the that overwhelming feeling was ultimately what really hooked me. Found it weird at first, but it wasn't long before that dreadful feeling of imminent doom started to soak my thought process, giving a very unique atmosphere of paranoia to the game. And it wasn't just the time limit itself, but the accompanying game mechanics, the changing music, and the well-written stories behind each character as their lives slowly start careening out of control on the Final Day. Very chaotic.

I haven't found any other games that provide a similar feeling - I mean, there's survival horror which just freaks your shit out, but it does so in a really bold and obvious way. You play those games with the expectation of being creeped out. MM had all the elements of a fun and puzzling Zelda game accessible for a younger audience, but I think something about it hits closer to home for a more mature mind too, if you let it. On a deeper level, there are simultaneously intriguing and even uncomfortable, mildly disturbing elements that permeate the game's environs. I might just be reading into it a little too much, though. God knows I've played it too much.

By the way, you should try finishing Ocarina of Time off sometime (just to say you did, if anything). Not sure how well the Ganon's Tower sequence has aged, but back in 1998.. 'twas easily the most epic thing I'd ever experienced in a game up until that point. I guess something like Metal Gear Solid would easily trump it nowadays, but if you can keep your mind open, more power to ya to finish that stuff.

+
  4. Yeah, I got quite sick shortly after I got the game for Christmas that year. By the time I was out of the hospital all of my friends had beaten it. I kept working on it, but ended up moving onto other things with them. Oddly enough, I can't recall what those even were haha.

+
  5. I must admit I haven't played Majora's Mask. It's available on Virtual Console. Should I be playing it?

+
  6. If you enjoyed OoT, then, hell yeah. Go for it.

+
  7. This is an all-time great game, although it's not as good as Ocarina of Time, but that's my opinion. Majora's Mask is a much darker and deeper game overall than Ocarina was. The 3-day time cycle that you had to finish in was a nice touch, and finding all the different masks was a huge game all on it's own. I was blown away by this game when it first came out 9 years ago on the N64, and I still play it probably once a year. I usually take about a 2 week period every once in a while and play through Zelda, Zelda II, Ocarina, Majora, Link to the past, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess.
    Majora might not be my fav Zelda game, it's not even the top 3, but it's still a great game that everybody needs to experience beginning to end.

+
  8. I've never considered myself that big of a Zelda fan.

However, when I start to think about it, I love pretty much every Zelda game I've ever played. I like Ocarina better than Majora, but Majora was still excellent. Although I will say that to this day, the jumping in these two annoys the hell out of me.

I mostly prefer the 2D Zeldas. Link to the Past has still got to be my ultimate favorite.

+
  9. Majora's Mask was definitely among the most atmospheric of Zelda games. It had a deeply dark and creepy tone, but still retained that unique and unemulable Zelda whimsy that Twilight Princess failed to touch upon. I also loved the game's concept of the cyclical doomsday, which added a sense of perpetuating psychological bearing as the days progressed.

However brilliant the feel of the game was, the game's dungeons were seriously lacking in challenge, focus, and character. It was just a mindless jerkaround through uninspired caverns and halls. I made the same argument about Wind Waker, and similarly again, this flaw really depreciates from the final product. I think Ocarina of Time is the best game of the series because it had great dungeons that were fun to play, interesting to explore, and logically challenging. I'll never forget the excursion through the Great Deku Tree's bowels to exterminate the parasite Ghoma, or going through the massive Dodonga cavern for the first time, or the feeling of accomplishment after fucking finally figuring out the secrets of the Forest Temple, or exploring the inside of the king whale Jabbu-Jabbu.

Unfortunately, I never beat Majora's Mask because the damn game kept freezing whenever I played the water dungeon. I wasn't too disappointed; that dungeon sucked.

+
  10. Kanji said:
    I'd edit to fix it, but apparently polls can't be edited?!

Well, yeah. Otherwise the topic creator could fuck with the results.

+
  11. Incidentally, I can see where you're coming from with that dungeon argument. But for me, the beauty of Zelda never did lie in the dungeon crawling as much as it did on the atmosphere and mythos surrounding the in-game world. That's where Majora's Mask excels, so I guess it's no surprise that I've sold my soul to it. This one had dungeons that were designed to be completable given the time restraints.. I guess that's hardly justification for some degree of inferiority, but I personally enjoyed the adrenaline rush of such things, especially when you're fighting a boss during the final hours. Good, in a different way, if you will.

Still Matt, you've got to try tracking down a copy that lets you play through the final dungeon in the game: Stone Tower Temple. That's my favorite dungeon in the entire series thus far (based on what I've played, of course). If you thought the Shadow Temple from Ocarina was trippy, give this one a go. That's all I'll say.

Agreed on Twilight Princess, though. The game had its moments, but ultimately felt very hollow at its core. I can't describe why, really - I just feel that way as a result of a few very subtle things, and yet they change the appeal completely.

Re: poll, the optionnnns, mang. My pretentious poll pride has been tarnished because of my inability to fix the incoherencies. I guess you don't give a fuck, but, sigh. One step closer to ruin.

+
  12. Kanji said:
    I guess you don't give a fuck, but, sigh.

I'm sorry? Me? What does that even mean...? As I explained, the poll creator can't edit a poll after votes have been tallied because he could thereafter mess with the results. If you're really concerned about editing it you can send me an email or PM.

+
  13. Just giving you a hard time over trivial nonsense. Don't worry about it.

+
  14. Its a shame you couldn't play more time as Fierce Deity Link.

+
    • ???
    • Sat November 28, 2020

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2092 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close