Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

Videogames are dead

• 9 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts
  1. VG Cats

I wonder if we really are at that crossroads that all great mediums of entertainment approach: where the hard core, the old guard, the base (us) get fed up with the changing state of things and the medium either evolves to accommodate us, or it dies as we know it...

+
  2. Yeah, this is something I really dislike ... personally I don't like labeling people or hobbies and its even worse when serious arguments of "my hobby is better than yours" spring up.

Some people play videogames because they find it fun, thats why we did it and thats why new people do it, no need to give them shit because they didn't play fucking Megaman and like to play some Wii tennis instead.

+
  3. Agreed. If I still want to play Megaman (which I do), I fire up the NES and play. Its really not hard...ok, well sometimes its a bitch to make the thing run these days, but that's beside the point. If a new game comes out that I want to play, I'll play it. Other than that, I'm not worried. I'm definitely not worried about what lies ahead, because its getting here quick enough as it is, you know?

+
  4. Well, the problem is deeper and far less trivial than a rivalry between two subgroups. The argument is that games are becoming watered down and regurgitated for the new masses, which isn't what we signed up for when we started playing 10-15-20 years ago. Mario is getting his first true sequel in the 25+ year history of the main franchise. Crappy new Zeldas are being pumped out regularly. After a brief run with brilliance and innovation, the Final Fantasy series is back to its old vapid self again. In an attempt to woo the masses, Miyamoto had his first flop, in, like, ever.The signs seem to point to the crossroads ahead...

Look what happened to rock: pax Americana, the excess of the 80's, and the mass-materialization of the genre killed it off, and it was the best goddamn thing to happen to music in the history of man. Are videogames next?

+
  5. I dunno about that. I didn't sign up for anything ;) Mario has had plenty of direct sequels in the NES and Mario World is pretty much a direct sequel to Mario 3. Miyamoto had plenty of flops in his early career also and I liked Twilight Princess so ...

Final Fantasy wise, you know how it is, they're all different and honestly, having Shiva motorcycles doesnt make a game good or bad, so lets not rush judgment.

Back in the day I played whatever looked fun, I didn't give a shit about the integrity of a franchise or its creators, thats all adult idealizations and/orcrap .. which is why a lot of people who were adults back then stopped playing games around the PS1 mark. All thats happening is that were getting older and more bitchy because we've been playing games for so long that we think we deserve better, when in reality its all pretty much the same.

Plus, there are tons of great games being made today, thats not even up for debate.

+
  6. ^Really? Tons? I've yet to see this myself, which is fine as it's all subjective when it comes to the "greatness" of a game and while I haven't played and/or seen something that has blown my mind since last generation, I'm still quite skeptical of this gen. Having said that, there are some games of interest on the horizon. Castlevania and Metroid: Other M to be specific about it, though, after playing Prime 1, I'd have to say that Sakamoto-san has got to really push the envelope if he wants to surpass Prime's finesse.

There are also particular game designers that still have their creative freedom in this industry to hopefully thrust us forward into the next level of game design standards. I'm talking about people like Shinji Mikami, Mark Pacini and perhaps Matsuno just to name a few. Overall though, this generation (3 years into it now?) has been severely disappointing.

EDIT:

Xavi said: Final Fantasy wise, you know how it is, they're all different and honestly, having Shiva motorcycles doesn't make a game good or bad, so lets not rush judgment.

For rpgs, it actually does. I'm not even slightly interested in that game purely because of it. Any game that takes itself THAT seriously has no chance in hell of convincing me to reserve judgment before the game reaches retail outlets.

+
  7. Xavi said:
    Mario has had plenty of direct sequels in the NES and Mario World is pretty much a direct sequel to Mario 3...

You're retarded

Xavi said:
    Miyamoto had plenty of flops in his early career.

Name one

Xavi said:
    I liked Twilight Princess so ...

You're retarded

+
  8. Xavi said:
    Back in the day I played whatever looked fun, I didn't give a shit about the integrity of a franchise or its creators, thats all adult idealizations and/orcrap .. which is why a lot of people who were adults back then stopped playing games around the PS1 mark. All thats happening is that were getting older and more bitchy because we've been playing games for so long that we think we deserve better, when in reality its all pretty much the same.

Don't know about the rest of you guys, but for me this really hits it on the head. I for one have found that a shitload of games I used to cherish immensely have not aged with me - that I no longer have the patience to make my way through them for the umpteenth time. This was no problem back in the day, but now... damn. This applies to all those awesome RPGs in particular. There are of course exceptions, but they're getting to be fewer and farther between as time goes on.

I'm still interested in a few upcoming titles, but I guess I'd say I'm outgrowing the medium. Which, I guess, doesn't give me much credibility to chime in on this subject, but hey. Are videogames dead to us, or are we just dead to them? In our ideal world this kind of entertainment would evolve and grow with us, and to some extent it has (sup Metal Gear Solid series), but at this point I think things have regressed back to the generic time-pass bullshit that was common in the old days. It's of a different flavor now, but I don't think these casual/bland games provide much of a different kind of thrill compared to what Pong or Pac-Man did for us way back when.

+
  9. To say my age has nothing to do with it would be silly.

Orson Scott Card has said something about gaming that I can't quite recall, but what I took away from it is that the technology level is critical to our expectations of games. The more realistic our games, the more will be expected of it on a multitude of levels. Graphics have been an important part of gaming almost since its inception. Developers tried their hardest to push the limits with what could be done with the SNES, not just with PS2 or 360. And as pretty as some SNES titles looked, our expectations were firmly grounded at a much lower level than the Blockbuster Movie Look of many of today's console games. If you think this is just because we were young that our expectations were lower, pick up one of the many quality DS games or an XBLA or PSN game and you'll see my point.

The medium is moving in a direction graphically which it is currently incapable of being matched in all other categories with the possible exception of soundtrack. At the same time, too much emphasis is put on novelty and not enough put on craftsmanship. And lastly making something palpable for the masses will usually dull its quality. Greatness is very rarely for everyone and is often not profitable, at least not in the arts. Those that can accomplish this are true masters. But this should not be expected as a common occurrence.

I'll post more later, I got tired just writing this :S My screen is so wide it feels like I barely wrote anything.

+
    • ???
    • Tue September 29, 2020

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2098 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close