Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

Final Fantasy XIII English trailer

• 18 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts

Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  1. At the risk of perpetuating the discontent... I just want to say that it better play like a dream because when I watch that in a lucid state it makes me want to vomit.

+

2. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  3. Excellent. I find it ironic and just down right hilarious that the mainline FF team has exemplified a downward spiral for such a franchise and yet meanwhile, all the other teams and outsourced studios are making the best games for Sqex which are either spin-offs or subordinate releases loosely attached/intertwined to the FF lore. Even more amusing is the fact that most of these smaller teams that have certain individuals who've made and/or been involved with the best mainline FFs in the franchise to date (Takashi Tokita being a fine example).

+

4. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  5. I thought it looked pretty bonasty right up until the point where they started the pop music. Bad choice of music makes cheesy RPG stories SO much cheesier. I mean really, it was gafflebad. That being said, I think it is mainly the music's fault and poor editing. That is, I'll probably not mind it if the sappiness weren't spread on with an industrial paint roller.

+

6. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  7. I'm not excited right now.

+

8. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  9. +

10. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  11. +

12. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  13. +

14. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  15. Count me in the group of SQEX skeptics. The only interesting looking upcoming title is Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers, as mentioned (and might I add that the autocomplete for referencing database games in your post is really great).

I've been playing FFTA2 lately and all I can say is that there is nothing here that suggests Square has the passion and design vision it used to. Tactics was an unwatered-down, visionary project where FFTA2 is diluted by the most extreme forms of banal redundancy and fanwhoring bullshit. Square Enix is now merely a group of wannabe visual artists supported by average programming and design teams. Where's the game design?

+

16. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  17. +

18. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  19. +

20. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  21. Whaaa man I thought Final Fantasy IV DS was the definitive version. I guess you got my apples mixed up in your oranges

+

22. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  23. lol I guess. I was totally bored with it.

+

24. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  25. +

26. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  27. Yeah, he seems pretty taken with it... but I question his judgment when he says stuff like,

It feels delightfully fresh and clean compared to the dark and brooding stuff that comes from the Nomura school of Final Fantasy games

I have never heard Tetsuya Nomura's direction described as either "dark" nor "brooding." If they were either of those things it would be a great improvement over what it really is, which is overcompensating and melodramatic.

Also, Pixelsnatch? I know the choices are limited these days (hence our retarded name), but "Pixelsnatch"? What the fuck is a pixelsnatch? It sounds like either the action of stealing pixels (but from who and for what purpose...?) or a vagina rendered in only a few bits.

+

28. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  29. I think the ridiculous name is kind of part of their schtick. Alex previously made Crunkgames, a similarly weirdly titled website. And besides, we can't argue, our site is called frickin' Videogam.in. Logjammin' good!

I can totally get behind Tetsuya Nomura's stuff being dark and brooding. I mean we're talking about Cloud and Sephiroth here. Or what he brought to the table on Kingdom Hearts, which is essentially teenage drama with a magical twist. If not for Yoko Shimomura's amazing score, it might have been a disaster.

What about Crisis Core - Final Fantasy VII? I haven't played it but it sounds like the whole story was about "brooding". Or Final Fantasy Versus XIII? "I wanted it to be as realistic to the contemporary world as possible," said Nomura. "So I made it dark and brooding. Because in today's world, teenagers listen to emo j-rock and sit in their mom's basement all day playing, hopefully, my videogames."

Sure, he works on some games that aren't brooding. But guess what! He doesn't direct those games. FFXIII is a Motomu Toriyama piece (IIRC), which means that Nomura's influence is - thankfully - limited in scope. His character design can't just throw out the design goals of the world they're in (last I heard he didn't even design all the characters?).

Overcompensating and melodramatic are true as well, however.

+

30. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  31. if it has androgynous teen love stories intertwined into the plot it's neither dark nor brooding. All Nomura titles have androgynous teen love stories intertwined into the plot.

well, maybe brooding in an emo sort of way, which doesn't make the case better.

+

32. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  33. Thank you for defending me and the site's name. Much appreciated.

+

34. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  35. That's cool, B-man. We all know it's really "Pixels, natch!" anyway.

+
    • ???
    • Sat December 4, 2021

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2113 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close