Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

Assasin's Creed

• 14 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts
  1. Did any of you guys play the first one? I did. I'm really shocked that the coverage for the sequel seems to be completely avoiding the ending of the first whenever reporters talk to the developers.

For me, the ending of AC was one of the biggest "fuck you" moments in gaming history. It literally ends at the climax of the entire plot of the game and you're left starring at a wall with a bunch of cryptic messages. Game Over.

The fact that they've already confirmed AC3 is in development tells me that this one is probably going to end just as badly. I don't know if I can put another 12 hours into a game just so Ubisoft can have another laugh at me.

+
  2. I never played the first one. It looked good, but I'm a little afraid for it. After all, Sands of Time was brilliant, but its awesomeness was considerably lessened by Warrior within and Two Thrones.

+
  3. My friend bought the game at Radioshack new for something like 8 dollars. I actually played it a fair bit more than he did and I have to say, it got boring fairly quickly. The game play was just way too repetitive (at least the parts I played). And we also ran into problems with not being able to remember the directions we were given then wandering around for hours trying to figure it out, since none of the NPCs would remind us of our purpose. I'm not excited about a sequel.

+
  4. I too got it for cheap. I didn't really mind the gameplay or the repetition that much. I loved scaling the eagle points in the cities. The roads in between cities seemed completely necessary and it was just taxing getting from one place to another.

Yes, the objectives are never clear and once they've been said you don't really have anyway of hearing them again. You'll probably aimlessly wander the stage for a while.

The cities were incredible in the game. Its almost worth playing it just to walk around in some of those settings. That being said, the character models for the sequel look like something off the PS2. I think they actually look worse than the original.

I'm really shocked by how the hype has converted everyone. When the first came out, I just remember some "okay" reviews and a lot of complaints about the fight mechanics.

+
  5. Assassin's Creed seemed to be touted as the realization of the new generation of gaming, as if to say, "We've arrived." The PS2 and Xbox era is finally over.

I guess it wasn't what it turned out to be, but I wonder what that game was (I'm still lagging behind, so I couldn't say). It seems like every new generation has that one game... Super Mario World, Final Fantasy VII, Grand Theft Auto III...

So what was this generation's transition game? Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots? Little Big Planet? Wii Sports...?

+
  6. Totally Wii Sports. I just got done playing Uncharted and Uncharted 2 back-to-back, and if that's what PS3 is all about (since it gets touted as the system's best game), then Wii Sports defeats it hands down in terms of "We've arrived".

+
  7. There are a lot of games that do a lot of interesting stuff out there this gen. But none of these games are really that engaging. Bad writing and just overall poor planning kills a lot of games that would otherwise be decent. Developers always seem too worried about how realistic the water looks in their games rather than how developed a character is. That is what's killing all of the games today.

+
  8. Amen, Dean.

+
  9. I'm getting rather annoyed with the "Gameplay as God" mentality. Progression of gaming as an artistic medium means gameplay focused design cannot continue. You might as well be playing Monopoly if that is really all you care about. Gameplay is important, very important, but it can't be an idol we bow down to. I think the obsessions with "Realism" and "Gameplay as God" seem highly related, I just can't seem to put my finger on how while I type this post.

I can't help but also think that the best games we see from now on will probably have budgets on the small end of the spectrum.....

+
  10. I don't see how gameplay and the thought of video games as a media for creativity and artistic ideas need be conflicting. If anything, I could easily imagine them being the number one priority for game developers, and often times 'realism' is a large hindrance towards gameplay, or at least, the more a game is about pure, unadulterated fun, the less realistic it tends to be; Something like WarioWare: Smooth Moves being the game I have in mind - But I guess the Wii is the pinnacle of "gameplay over realism" mentality, so I understand see where you're coming from.

But I do agree, I can see a lot of games coming from low-budget independent companies reserving the #1 spot more often than not, which seems more and more possible as the months go on, and the line between what used to be an outlandish, surreal and rather 'esoteric' gaming industry and the user-driven Internet, with a generation of people that grew up with it now becoming serious professionals becoming less and less visible.

+
  11. 99% of all art (movies, novels, paintings, sculptures, etc) tells a story in some fashion. What the story is and how it is told is extremely vague. However if you can't come up with a story or are not sure you have one, then in fact there is no story and the piece is worthless. The easiest way to come up with a story is to just flatly tell one, like in novels and the most of film. That's the easy way out, but should not be ignored. When games will truly impress us is when game play is the story (maybe you can come up with some examples now). So no, I don't think game play is at odds with video games as a media for creativity and artistic ideas. However, I think too much is narrative given the backseat to game play that doesn't inform the story in any way shape or form. It's entertaining, but nothing more.

+
  12. I don't really give a hoot about the advancement of videogames as an artistic medium, I just want to play something that's engaging and facilitates escapism, like the feeling I had when I played games as a kid. I want something that makes me want to wake up at 5AM on Saturday mornings. Novels, paintings, and movies just don't have that strong a pull.

I guess what I'm saying is that gameplay is really the essential ingredient in this recipe, so I'm not willing to sacrifice it for anything.

+
  13. Nels is crazy. Story given the backseat to gameplay? The problem with most modern games is that it's vice versa: shitty gameplay because the focus was given to a "good" or "epic" story. Not that good story has actually really happened in games yet, possibly with the exclusion of something like Planescape: Torment.

If videogames are to be classified as an artistic medium (I don't think they should be, they're a craft, not an art), then the constraints that the medium allows in terms of expression are what make storytelling possible. For instance, Portal's story is twofold: it's the escape from the complex and the interaction with GlaDOS, but it's also the experience of using the Portal device and the story you tell yourself as a player. That's something Valve has done a great job of understanding and taking advantage of, by the way.

+
  14. WOW. Has anyone seen Assassin's Creed: Lineage yet? Premiered on YouTube tonight, I don't know if its supposed to be series or a serialized movie, but either way, it was pretty dang awesome.

Watch it here

+
  15. Log in to post a reply.

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2123 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close