Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

2010. Year of the gaming?

• 29 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts
  1. So we've already got a thread like this in 2009 but what about next year? Is there anything on the horizon that may pique your interests? For me, I feel it is quite possibly the biggest year for gaming this generation. Soooo much great stuff that's in the works. It's a megatonathon!

+
  2. +
  3. If you treat the the years as Aug 2009 - Aug 2010, then yeah, it looks like a pretty good year.

I think it will be pretty tough for a company to ever top the year Saga Frontier 2, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, Threads of Fate, Front Mission 3, Final Fantasy VIII (This year runs Feb 1999 - Feb 2000) in my mind.

+
  4. I'm still waiting for my motherfucking Pikmin 3 announcement that I was expecting in 2009.

+
  5. The Pikmin is a lie, Matt.

+
  6. Mr_Domino said:
    Aliens versus Predator (2010) (which seems to have been deleted from the database) and Star Trek Online are the two things I'll be getting.

Don't really see how 2010 could possible top 2001, though. THAT was the year of gaming. Final Fantasy X, Deus Ex, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Aliens versus Predator 2. The only other year that might could compare would be 1987.

Hey funny you mention Deus Ex as Mr. Spector's new game is bound for release next year which is one of the games I am totally pumped about. Like matt, Pikmin 3 is another title I cannot wait for. What else? Shiiiiieeet well there's Sin & Punishment 2 to break 2010 in and then we've got Casltevenia: Lords of Shadow along with Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, Cosmic Walker, Sandlot's REGINLEIV, Sakaguchi's Project, Hirokazu Yasuhara Pac-Man 2010 Project which he'll have full control of I believe (something he hasn't done since Sonic 3 & Knuckles), Project Sora and last but certainly not least Shinji Mikami's Project. I'm not gonna mention Matsuno purely because I do not want to give myself that much hope (if I haven't already done so.........probably have).

But yea, man, next year is just booming with anticipation. I can't remember the last time I was THIS excited about games (it was probably back in the Ocarina of Time days). Soooooo pumped.

+
  7. Yeah, in some ways this year is gonna make me really wish I had a Wii, betwixt Epic Mickey, Metroid: Other M, and whatever Project Sora ends up being. But I wouldn't be able to afford all those anyways.

+
  8. I have to say I've been reminiscing about Super Mario Galaxy quite a bit lately and I'm also really looking forward to Super Mario Galaxy 2. As fulfilling as the first one seemed, I've recently had the feeling that it never came full circle, as if two years after finishing it, it still seems to have a lot of potential. I guess it's a good thing there's a sequel, then.

I remember longing to play it again last winter as well. I think I sometimes get seasonal nostalgia for games I played at some period during the year. Every autumn I have to play Advance Wars and/or Fire Emblem, and I'm in heat for Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid in the summer.

+
  9. Matt, the thought of you in Heat terrifies me in ways I had previously thought impossible...

+
  10. What? I don't get it. What's wrong with me saying I'm in heat for Solid Snake every summer?

+
  11. Mr_Domino said:
    Yeah, in some ways this year is gonna make me really wish I had a Wii, betwixt Epic Mickey, Metroid: Other M, and whatever Project Sora ends up being. But I wouldn't be able to afford all those anyways.

Yea it will be interesting to see what Masahiro Sakurai will come up with. He's got full control over the entire process and development of this project which means he'll be able to put all those suppressed ideas and concepts into fruition that were held back when he was still working at HAL Labs.'

Matt said:
    I have to say I've been reminiscing about Super Mario Galaxy quite a bit lately and I'm also really looking forward to Super Mario Galaxy 2. As fulfilling as the first one seemed, I've recently had the feeling that it never came full circle, as if two years after finishing it, it still seems to have a lot of potential. I guess it's a good thing there's a sequel, then.

I remember longing to play it again last winter as well. I think I sometimes get seasonal nostalgia for games I played at some period during the year. Every autumn I have to play Advance Wars and/or Fire Emblem, and I'm in heat for Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid in the summer.

Yea I know what you mean. I think it's interesting that we're getting another Mario sequel so soon as Nintendo in the past only released one Mario game per generation and really, it's a good move for them as this was what they used to do back in the NES/SNES days; using the trial and error model to perfect the existing formula. Like you said, Galaxy has a lot of potential and so all Nintendo has to do, is take in the criticisms/observations and "trim the fat" of what didn't work, and focus/excel on what did so the sequel can be even more engrossing and enriching with the current formula still intact. It's the reason why Super Mario Bros. 3 was so successful for it's time: Without the mistakes and shortcomings of both Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 2 I don't believe Nintendo would have ever been able to conceive the third installment.

Hopefully Galaxy 2 will follow that trend.

EDIT.

This just in, Zangeki no REGINLEIV will be supporting Wii MotionPlus!

+
  12. Pugz said:
    It's the reason why Super Mario Bros. 3 was so successful for it's time: Without the mistakes and shortcomings of both Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 2 I don't believe Nintendo would have ever been able to conceive the third installment.

Hopefully Galaxy 2 will follow that trend.

That's pretty insightful, and I'm totally with you: here's to SMG2 being the best mario since SMB3!

+
  13. More Pikmin 3 bitterness: Instead of working on Nintencats, Miyamoto needs to do some more gardening so I can get back to harvesting and using innocent, callow creatures as I will.

+
  14. Sha-Weet! No More Heroes is coming to the PS3 and 360 next year! It's a graphically updated version of the first game so I'm assuming they'll do the same with the second too.

+
  15. Wow, The Saboteur looks like ass. They game started out as a sort of cool concept but just failed completely in production design. The menus, graphics, and gameplay all look incredibly generic. You can tell no one from Pandemic even bothered to go to France to look at the buildings there.

+
  16. +
  17. God, I hope so. It would show that there is actually some sense in an industry that is constantly lowering their standards.

+
  18. Heeeeey, did anyone hear about this bombshell regarding, possibly, Pikmin 3?

I sure as shit didn't!

+
  19. Yeah, I'm far more interested in the cat.

+
  20. That seems like good news, though puts a new Pikmin way off in the future. However, I do find it hilarious that Nintendo has to keep Miyamoto's hobbies secret in order to not spoil potential future project to the public.

+
  21. Sin and Punishment 2 for the Wii looks pretty sweet.

+
  22. Yea I can't wait. I haven't played a railed shooter since StarFox 64 and the Wii is a perfect platform for it.

+
  23. Everything Treasure makes is pure gold (i.e. a treasure). If they do a sequel to Mischief Makers, I will inevitably piss my pants, then walk to the store and purchase three copies.

+
  24. The Last Story
    Xenoblade
    Vanquish
    StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
    Sin & Punishment 2
    Pikmin 3
    Epic Mickey
    Super Mario Galaxy 2
    Alpha Protocol
    Metroid: Other M
    Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom
    Valkyria Chronicles 2
    Yakuza 3

with announcements/unveilings of (most likely E3):

The Legend of Zelda Wii
    Project Sora
    Hirokazu Yasuhara Pac-Man 2010 Project
    Cosmic Walker
    Dragon Quest X
    Yasumi Matsuno Project (ooooh yeeeaa, I went there! )

1. Year of the gaming. I said this would be as good as the year of Ocarina of Time. I was wrong, it shall be better than it. There is enough shit here to last me 2 and a half years. Seriously, fuck 2011, I'll still be stuck in 2010!
    +
  25. Eh. The only ones I'm really all that excited about are StarCraft II, Epic Mickey, and Alpha Protocol. Metroid: Other M looked intriguing, but I wasn't really salivating. I still haven't had a chance to go through the first SMGalaxy, so it'll definitely be a while before I hit the second one.

Frankly, most of my time this year will likely be taken up with Star Trek Online. God help me, I'm already addicted.

+
  26. All these bonasty announcements for the Wii and DS really make me think I need to invest in them soon. Or at the very least start stockpiling more games for systems I don't own

I know it's just a teaser trailer, but Vanquish has managed to impress me quite a bit. It looks like like both Ironman and Halo and I'm still very interested. That's saying something.

I'm still hoping that Blizzard will actually release one of their non World of Warcraft titles, but I doubt it.

+
  27. Nels said:I know it's just a teaser trailer, but Vanquish has managed to impress me quite a bit. It looks like like both Ironman and Halo and I'm still very interested. That's saying something.

Tell me about it. It's now my most anticipated game ever. Big call I know, but when I saw this trailer (which has surpassed Metroid: Other M's in every conceivable way), I was convinced that I'll be pre-ordering this game. I'v never pre-ordered a game in my entire life, I guess there's always time for trying something new.

+
  28. On what merits have you made that decision? The trailer looks good, real good, but doesn't reveal anything about the game besides some amazing visuals. I mean, what's the genre, even? The trailer doesn't give us a clue, nor does your coverage ("A game by Platinum Games" ).

+
  29. "A game by Shinji Mikami" and that's enough for me (along with the trailer itself). Maybe I won't pre-order it (that's a bit ridiculous) or even buy it day one. Of course I could be wrong, it could turn out to be mediocre, but going by Mikami's track record, I highly doubt it. Merits? just a hunch, a feeling.

+
  30. Log in to post a reply.

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2135 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close