Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

James Cameron

• 12 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts
  1. With all of this Avatar news , one of the things I keep seeing is film critic's quotes about how James Cameron is this incredible filmmaker and how all of his movies are timeless classics. Are you fucking kidding me? I guess they're either judging him by box office gross or by the amount of terrible one-liners per minute in a film.

+
  2. While I loved Terminator 2, I have to say I agree with you. He hasn't made a film that I've cared about since T2 and Avatar really does look like balls on a camera.

+
  3. Sure, he's no Midas, but Aliens and True Lies (in addition to the aforementioned Terminator 2) were great movies. Maybe this particular audience doesn't drink this particular cup of tea, but you can't deny that Titanic was a landmark movie. Maybe it's just that I've seen the effects its had on a rapturous Chinese audience, where fans of the movie number in the hundreds of millions, or maybe it's just that it came out when I was 16, but it just seems to me that it was one of those movies that we rarely get any more that created a massive amount of buzz and excitement for movies. James Cameron is no genius, but I think it's no exaggeration that his name has been attached to timeless classics.

+
  4. Don't forget The Abyss as well! LOVE that movie.

+
  5. I used to like Aliens too, but then I watched it again after not having seen it for a few years. I couldn't believe how bad it was compared to how I remembered it. The movie basically has no plot and what ever plot it does have is just taken from the first one (the Company double crosses them again!). The suspense and mystery surrounding a cast of interesting archetypes from the first is replaced with bland, predictable (and disposable) cast of marines who basically just shoot a lot and then die. Ripley is basically there to save everyone over and over again, which is her only real role in the movie. That and being the only competent person on the mission. It was always strange how Cameron saves the Hicks character. Why? He's just as interchangeable with any of the other Marine characters and you learn nothing about him. He does have a few poorly delivered, semi-romantic lines in Ripley's general direction but that's about it. Everyone always raves about the mother-daughter parallels in the film but they were so bluntly delivered it was hard for me to really take them seriously.

And I'm going to make the prediction that Giovanni Ribisi is to Avatar what Paul Reiser was to Aliens.

Maybe I've just become jaded over the years. T2 is definitely the best movie he's ever done (except in the middle when they pick up the scientist guy) just because the script was tighter and the characters were explored in more depth. I can't say much about Titanic. I only saw it once and have done my best to forget it ever since.

+
  6. I've have never gone nuts over any of his movies. However I can't say I've disliked any of them besides Titanic. And frankly, my decision upon Titanic was based off of the first 15 minutes and a general like to dislike what my twin sister liked when we were in middle school (or whatever age of immaturity I was at). Since then I've only been able to graduate onto seeing the boob scene (a happy accident while channel surfing in high school).

I was excited to see Avatar based on the CGI alone. I mean really, I would have sat through a crappy movie just to experience those amazing special effects. It is not often I feel this way, but I did about Avatar. So it has worked out swimmingly that the movie is actually supposed to be good. Now all I have to do is wait for this snow to clear out and I'll be able to go and see it.

+
  7. My three and a half cents:

James Cameron is a master storyteller. He is essentially just another Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich aside from that fact, but because of it, he shines far above them. He takes the kinds of setups that normally would turn into a crap film (Let's do Dancing with Wolves - but in SPACE!!) and sweeps you away with them.

Now, that being said, James Cameron makes movies for 14 year olds. If you're much older than that age sitting down to one of his movies, then you have to let your inner teenager out a little bit in order to properly enjoy the film.

I'll admit, I'm a bit of a Cameron fanboy. Four of his films are on my top 10 movies of all time list (Aliens, The Terminator, T2, and Avatar) and I've already been to see Avatar twice (once in IMAX) and I intend to see it again, if possible. But that notwithstanding, I think its difficult to not acknowledge the significant number of areas in which he's at the very least an incredibly important director.

+
  8. Yeah, Avatar really surprised me. It is probably me favorite movie of 2009. I know there is a lot of people saying it is so similar to Dances With Wolves, but as much a people bemoan that, I want to know 1.) How many of them have seen Dances With Wolves? and 2.) How many of them noticed this on their own without the aid of South Park or one of its viewers?

Almost no one is completely original these days. Resulting in questing after it being pretty hollow. However expecting high quality is never out of fashion. Avatar delivers that in spades.

Also Mr_Domino, why would you say it is a movie for 14 year olds? It seems like to me it is really a movie for all ages, provided the viewer isn't in any way jaded or trying to hard to hard to be cool.

+
  9. 14 years old is the prime age for any of Cameron's films (although for Titanic a Uterus is also a must) in my opinion. That's the target. They're definitely for all ages, but veering one way off the mark and the films might be too intense for some, and veer too far the other way and a majority of folks start feeling like they're above the films.

The key to watching Cameron films is letting him sweep you off your feet. Because he'll always do it if you let him.

+
  10. Do they ever explain in the movie why "unobtainium" is so valuable in the movie? No? That is what we call a plot hole, gentlemen. This whole movie was just lazy writing. How about the rock is able to cure some disease or will fix some huge problem on earth that is threatening lives? So that there is conflict in the characters over what the right thing to do is. Instead we get this alien race who is sweet, gentle, and in touch with nature vs. a military complex who just wants to kill them and steal their treasure. What if the Colonel's son died because of the lack of unobtainium or there was some other aspect to his personality other than his undefined bloodlust? If you're making a movie that is centered around a conflict then that conflict needs to be defined, not trivially thrown out there.

The Dances with Wolves comparison... whatever. The idea of depicting aliens like native americans has been done so many times its ridiculous. James Cameron only looses points there because he went where so many have gone before. (Ewoks anyone?)

+
  11. It doesn't matter one bit why unobtainium is so valuable. What matters is that is it is valuable and the people that want it because it will make them rich. That part is very clearly laid out. It's a MacGuffin. The story isn't about unobtainium. And it isn't centered around a conflict.

+
  12. Nels said:
    provided the viewer isn't in any way jaded or trying to hard to hard to be cool.

Dean said:
    Do they ever explain in the movie why "unobtainium" is so valuable in the movie? No? That is what we call a plot hole, gentlemen. This whole movie was just lazy writing. How about the rock is able to cure some disease or will fix some huge problem on earth that is threatening lives? So that there is conflict in the characters over what the right thing to do is. Instead we get this alien race who is sweet, gentle, and in touch with nature vs. a military complex who just wants to kill them and steal their treasure. What if the Colonel's son died because of the lack of unobtainium or there was some other aspect to his personality other than his undefined bloodlust? If you're making a movie that is centered around a conflict then that conflict needs to be defined, not trivially thrown out there.

The Dances with Wolves comparison... whatever. The idea of depicting aliens like native americans has been done so many times its ridiculous. James Cameron only looses points there because he went where so many have gone before. (Ewoks anyone?)

Seewudimeen?

+
    • ???
    • Thu November 26, 2020

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2149 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close