Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

FFXIII

• 25 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts
  1. Has anyone broken down and imported it yet? I've been holding off on reading any of the JP reviews.

+
  2. I've thought about it, but I want to know what's going on in the game. I can't understand any other languages so I will wait for 2 more months until it's in the US. I have imported a few games before, but only because they never get released out here.

+
  3. No. And after reading this Game|Life piece, I do believe I'll be passing on the domestic release as well.

+
  4. Hell, I was passing on the domestic release the moment the first trailer hit :-).

And from the sound of things, I'll be skipping XIV as well. Frankly, XII may have been the last hurrah for FF. A shame, since it was a leap in the right direction for the future of an aging franchise.

+
  5. Here's a fresh Gamasutra article on the game. It's an analysis on the first 10 hours of play in the game (J-NSTC version). Quite an interesting read actually, especially about the part on eliminating towns in way of something new towards the game's pacing.

+
  6. All this pre-release analysis is quite foreboding. Monumental praise, yet lingering anguish. My only conclusion: Buy it and find out for myself when it's released in the United States. It looks like it's going to turn into the most overanalyzed game of recent memory. I don't want to see 8 page reviews of it like I did Grand Theft Auto IV, that just annoyed the piss out of me.

Anyway, I found RPGFan's import review interesting. I didn't bother reading the whole thing, though. Unlike the Gamasutra article, this guy actually finished the whole game.

+
  7. So I guess I'm the only iconoclast that actually loved how this one turned out? Sure it's not perfect, but there's this overindulgent air about XIII which somehow sends me on a nostalgia trip, making me feel a euphoria that's eerily similar to the way I geeked out over Square's PSX RPGs. I mean I was expecting to hate it too, but somehow ended up on the other end of the spectrum. Maybe it boils down to whether you can unleash your inner 14-year-old-nomura-fanboy or not. Haven't purged that little guy from my soul just yet.

Although, the soundtrack's pretty damn sexy no matter how you slice it. If you ask me, it's Hamauzu's magnum opus. And I didn't even like the guy much before (well yeah okay 'Todesengel' from SaGa Frontier 2 was pretty kickass, buuuuut)

+
  8. Best battle theme ever, can't get enough of it.

That being said, I like the character designs, but I hate the characters themselves. The voice acting is good, but the dialogue sucks. the story is good in concept, but the pacing is terrible. It's the fucking definition of a love/hate scenario.

I'll stick it out until the end, but I'm keeping my hopes high and my expectations low for the rest of it.

+
  9. I'm not getting it for the time being at least. However, I've heard enough of the soundtrack that I'll be getting it.

+
  10. Oh man, this game has made me so happy. I am still sort of stumped by how much backlash it is getting. It's certainly rough around the edges in many places, but what Final Fantasy hasn't been? It's like everyone is surprised they didn't get the Moon on a stick given to them by for their birthday. Certain review sites I've trusted for a long time really blew it on this one and have shaken my trust in their opinion.

Also, does anyone else listen to Snow talk and think to themselves, "Shut-up Keanu"?

+
  11. Yeah, I can wholeheartedly recommend it after getting to chapter 11. Matt, you will enjoy it as it feels a lot like the next step from FFXII. GameLife's review is absolutely correct from a high level as Final Fantasy stands to become irrelevant if it does not innovate in response to direct competition from Bioware, Blizzard, etc.

But up to chapter 11 was definitely not the future of RPGs. It reminded me of Twilight Princess' unnecessarily long tutorial, except this time stretched over 20 hours.

+
  12. @Rahul

it feels a lot like the next step from FFXII

That is a contentious claim. Don't toy with me, sir. You know how much I love Final Fantasy XII!

+
  13. @Matt

Well, I stand behind it. It takes a long time for the battle system to ramp up - for instance, you don't get full control over your party until chapter 11 (an important chapter, as I mentioned). But the Role system is a simplification of the very programmey Gambits system used in FFXII and once you realise the ease and advantages of being able to switch roles (Paradigms) on the fly, in the middle of an action being performed, or in the middle of the enemy unleashing an attack, then it becomes quite powerful.

They really screwed up the script, voice acting, and dramatic storyline, but the battle system is very polished and interesting.

+
  14. @Rahul I think what we were bitching about was mostly the character designs and the themes, which we knew were going to be lame. If the gameplay is good then I'm sold.

+
  15. I'm still only on chapter 5, but so far I really like it. I LOVE the music, the battle system is just starting to get interesting (I need to get farther into the game to really appreciate it I think) the characters are cool, Lightning looks like Cloud is cross dressing again and Hope is Tidus but I'm cool with it I love the dark haired chick whats her name... Fang, I can't wait to get her in the party.

oh ok but I do find Snow and Serah disturbing, I feel like I'm watching this big idiot guy hit on a 14 yr old

+
  16. @Yuna1881 So do you agree with my assessment that Snow is Keanu Reeves?

+
  17. @Nels

agree completely! I didn't see it myself but now that you've brought it to my attention I can't get it out of my head!

+
  18. I can't say that I've been as sucked into the game as I'd have liked... I picked it up over Spring Break (driving school bus gives me the same days off as the students), played it for a few nights; got to Disc 2 (yes, Xbox version), and it's sat in the case since...

I don't know what it is, but I've since played through the single-player campaigns for the first Left4Dead (and a bit of Bioshock) and have had more fun with those than FFXIII... Heck, I'd even debated going and selling it off!!! -Don't worry though, I've decided to keep it and try to get back into it (I'd hate myself if I decided to pick it up down the line and play through it again...)

I'm not complaining about the linear nature of the game, the "Press "A" to beat the game, or the lack of a world map (and the other commonly read complaints of the game that I've seen online); and actually enjoyed (my idea of) playing through a 'real-time' story/movie... I do know that I'm getting annoyed by the fact I only really control one character in the party (although I have a little control over the others w/ the paradigm shift)...

I don't know, just my initial two cents... I might throw in a little more change later on when I've played the game a bit more!

+
  19. I'm on ch 10 now and I've been completely sucked in!! I really am starting to like this game, I just think it took forever to like... you know, start.

+
  20. @Yuna1881 Yeah except that Chapter 10 is only 3 chapters away from the end of the game :(

+
  21. @Rahul yeah I've noticed that, what a freaking waste it was so slow to start and now that its getting good its almost finished.

+
  22. Alright so I took way too long a break from work today and beat it. I made the mistake of deciding to beat the game about 2 weeks ago. Why was this a mistake? Because I turned it into a chore. Something that had to be done, instead of taking my time for the last 6-9 hours or so of play. Despite turning it into a slight drudgery at the end there, I enjoyed the game thoroughly. I left satisfied and look forward to going back and trying to beat some more of the marks (I think I have at least 40 of them done now, though not all at 5 stars) when I feel like it. Despite our high hopes (my high hopes?) not being completely met, I do think it is yet another respectable entry into the Final Fantasy series. I'm going to write a review of it sometime over the next few weeks when I have more time because nobody ever gets tired of reading about Final Fantasy, right?

+
  23. Right! Looking forward to that review.

I'm still mulling over purchasing the game myself. I don't want to play another Final Fantasy X ever again. That is, 50+ hours of my life that I almost completely forgot about since then and don't care to remember now.

+
  24. @Matt

I remember finishing that game and feeling extremely depressed afterward. It was the first time I truly felt the series had finally come to an end.

+
  25. +
    • ???
    • Mon August 10, 2020

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2156 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close