Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

Keep it or sell it? New Super Mario Bros Wii

• 9 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts
  1. I got New Super Mario Bros. Wii as a gift, but I don't think I want to keep it. I hated New Super Mario Bros., which lacked every element of charm and good design that made the original side-scrolling Mario games of the NES and SNES generations (especially Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island) classics. And is it just me or does it look like total crap? If they had tried out an interesting graphical style like they did in Yoshi's Island I think it would have at least been worth checking out, but it looks like the same old crap that we got on the DS a few years ago. I can't imagine the multilayer aspects being any good, either.

I think what struck me the most about the DS Mario was how alien it felt. Absent of the je ne sais quoi of the originals, there were also innovations introduced that made it feel like a completely different series, a pretender of sorts. When I look at NSMBW, I see even more of this: 4 players simultaneously, Toad, Ice flowers, propeller hats, propeller blocks, penguin suits, mini mushrooms... I mean what the fuck? Is it too much to ask for a follow up to the brilliant Yoshi's Island without filling it with a whole bunch of useless power-ups? Do these innovations really make the game more fun to play? My instincts tell me the opposite.

+
  2. This review addresses the disparity in quality between the DS and Wii titles. I've only been able to play it briefly, but it was a lot of fun. I wouldn't sell it if I were you.

+
  3. Regarding the alien quality about these new 2D mario games, I'd have to 100% agree with you and I know exactly where you're coming from. Having said that, if it's a gift (which I'm assuming you got it for free) then why not just give it a whirl and see what you think (experience is the ultimate arbiter after all). I personally have no desire to pick this one up, I played the DS version and my sentiments are almost identical to yours, I finished that game feeling hollow and incomplete with my accomplishments. I mean there was no difficulty to it, I barely died, the level designs were as deep as the original Super Mario Bros. and I finished the game in no time. In fact this game just felt like an upscale version of Super Mario Bros. and for that I will never be able to fathom why (even more so to the point that it would remake the original when the later sequels were FAR superior i.e. Super Mario Bros. 3). Though I will admit that this new title does seem to make some wild improvements that do remind of Bros. 3, but I just don't think this new glaze of retro Mario will draw me in, I'd rather wait for Super Mario Galaxy 2 instead.

+
  4. I can sell it for $50 on ebay or exchange it for another game. When you only make $600 a month, 8 months a year teaching English, $50 is a big gamble for a game that I'm almost certain to hate.

@Nels, the review lifted my spirits a little, though I'm still not certain I want to keep it at this time (I'd rather get it in a few years when it drops in price). I have some friends coming over tonight, and we'll play the usual: Mario Kart Wii, Pac-Man Vs., Smash Bros Brawl, and a new one I picked up, Wii Sports Resort, and If one of them wants to bust out NSMBW I'll be game. Otherwise I'm selling it on eBay.

+
  5. What an age it has come to that people sell Mario games that they were given as gifts...

+
  6. +
  7. I thought NSMBW was pretty decent. I do think its better when you play with other people rather than just by yourself, although it does make it harder to get through a level without out dying. As for the difficulty in general, it seems like they did make it harder than the previous mario platformers, but that's probably because they execpt more people to play using the multiplayer rather than just going solo. As far as the new power-ups go, I think they were alright and not totally useless. Sure the penguin suit looks weird, but at least you can slide and shoot ice balls with it; much more than I can say about the crappy frog suit from SMB3. Besides wouldn't it get really boring if for every mario game they just had the same basic (mushroom/flower/star) power-ups?

+
  8. Son_Gara said:
    wouldn't it get really boring if for every mario game they just had the same basic (mushroom/flower/star) power-ups?

No, I don't think so. As long as level design is taken into consideration, all these innovations are trivial. Isn't good level design the primary reason that Super Mario Bros. is a cultural phenomenon and that Mario is the biggest name in videogames? Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3 set industry standards for what a good 2-D platformer should be like. Level design is what separates Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, the best 2-D platformer of all time, from Yoshi's Island DS, an unplayable game.

One of the things I found so unappealing of New Super Mario Bros. was how boring it was to play it. I think if you have fun and challenging levels, it doesn't matter what retarded hat Mario is wearing, or how byzantine his power-ups are.

+
  9. I'll agree with you on that. The levels did seem pretty dull for the most part, but they did have their moments. The one that stuck out the most for me was the level that had all the monty moles brusting out from the cliffs. It seemed like I was playing a new level from Super Mario World (still my favorite mario game of all time). I also thought they did decent designs for the Ghost Houses, but thats just one opinion. I've always thought those were the most challenging whenever they were the games.

+
    • ???
    • Wed September 30, 2020

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2166 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close