Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

Keep it or sell it? New Super Mario Bros Wii

1. I got New Super Mario Bros. Wii as a gift, but I don't think I want to keep it. I hated New Super Mario Bros., which lacked every element of charm and good design that made the original side-scrolling Mario games of the NES and SNES generations (especially Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island) classics. And is it just me or does it look like total crap? If they had tried out an interesting graphical style like they did in Yoshi's Island I think it would have at least been worth checking out, but it looks like the same old crap that we got on the DS a few years ago. I can't imagine the multilayer aspects being any good, either.

I think what struck me the most about the DS Mario was how alien it felt. Absent of the je ne sais quoi of the originals, there were also innovations introduced that made it feel like a completely different series, a pretender of sorts. When I look at NSMBW, I see even more of this: 4 players simultaneously, Toad, Ice flowers, propeller hats, propeller blocks, penguin suits, mini mushrooms... I mean what the fuck? Is it too much to ask for a follow up to the brilliant Yoshi's Island without filling it with a whole bunch of useless power-ups? Do these innovations really make the game more fun to play? My instincts tell me the opposite.

+
    • ???
    • Thu October 22, 2020

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2166 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close