Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

Important updates regarding March's site release

Topics

• 10 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts
  1. The newest Videogam.in release has some major improvements to both the forums and Sblog (detailed on the home page), and besides the obvious (a new site design), there are some important changes to how things work.

For one, the old [game/] and [person/] link code tags have been depreciated. In place of these old tags is a new catch-all: the double square brackets. If you mention a game, person, company, development group, topic, category, or basically anything related to videogames, enclose it within two square brackets, similar to Wikipedia code. By tagging a phrase like "Nintendo", "Yasumi Matsuno", "Xbox 360", "Sonic series", "Mustaches", etc., you will create a link to that phrase's content page. If the content page doesn't yet exist, you can follow the link to create the page. Right now, the the form for creating and editing content pages is still in development, but you should still use tag phrases in your forum and Sblog posts, because those coverage pages will exist someday soon. See the BB Code Guide for more info.

A limited array of HTML tags are now usable on forum and sblog posts. They're detailed in the BB Code Guide.

You might notice some jumbly text here or there. I detailed the problem recently. Basically, we've changed the site encoding and some special characters didn't translate. For example, the umlaut in "BrĂ¼tal Legend" might not have carried over so well, and there would be jumbly text or a question mark in its place. No worries, just edit the text, save it, and we should never have the problem ever again.

Take note of the large footer on every page since it has some important links and a feedback form. Please don't hesitate to utilize the feedback form to report and bugs or strange happenings, as some are sure to appear with this release.

Our latest tweet will load in the header. I plan on updating it frequently with interesting forum discussions, Sblog posts, and site news.

Finally, in regards to our old game and people coverage, it still exists and will be converted to coverage pages in the coming weeks.

I urge everyone to take a look at the new Sblog Form to see what it's capable of. The Sblog system is an all-encompassing content posting system that can post just about anything anywhere. If you have anything to share with the community, be it a news article, interesting link, an enlightening quote, pictures, or video, use this form to quickly and easily share it with the Videogam.in community. Your Sblogs are also discussion points; play devil's advocate and foster a discussion around a recent event in the games industry. You can create a poll to measure your readers' opinion of the topic, and with the new forum post rating system, trolls will have their responses drowned out by the power of the vote.

Please feel free to reply here or PM me with any feedback or ideas for improvement.

+
  2. Hey hey! The system you have in place to generate links automatically (for those that don't know how to use tags) still generates the old style (ie: [game]Metal Gear Solid[/game]. You may already be aware, but an FYI nonetheless is usually more helpful than not.

+
  3. That's because it's still pointing to the old system. when the new one is finally implemented it'll do it right.

+
  4. I have several hundred email addresses from people who signed up from the homepage, and 4,500 registered users to invite for the next site release. However, I won't send the invites until I'm confident in the stability of the site, meaning everything does what it's supposed to do with the least number of bugs and hiccups possible. If you encounter any issues at all or have any ideas on how something might work better, please make use of the Feedback form on the bottom of every page.

I'm hoping to send the next batch of invites by 1 May.

The next site release will include the site backbone, the wikibase, which is powered by XML and space-age wiki technology. It's super sweet and coming along quite nicely. I'm currently finishing up the Adding & Editing forms and will soon convert all our old games, people, and wiki entries to the new system.

+
  5. [video|right|My video!!]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSZXBIoG6ZA[/video]I feel the need to also mention the [video/] BB code. This isn't new exactly, but there are some new attributes you can use to embed Youtube and Viddler videos into your forum and Sblog posts. Check out the BB Code guide for more info.

+
  6. the [video/] code now accepts Vimeo videos in addition to Youtube and Viddler.

Viddler is the proprietary video services of Joystiq, among many others. To get the Viddler video URL for the [video/] tag (from a Joystiq blog article for example) click "play" and double click the video to be redirected to the source page at Viddler.com.

+
  7. Awesome work Matt! Keep it up.

+
  8. thx how goes Square Anthology?

+
  9. It is good but since I am busy with university I rarely have time to update the site or make improvements to the sites back-end. Although I am going to be done exams in a few weeks and I should hopefully be able to work on version 4.0 for the site :D

+
  10. Some design improvements were made to the forum system today. Did you notice?

+
  11. Log in to post a reply.

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2184 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close