Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

and why I think it will surpass it's predecessor in every way possible...

• 10 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts
  1. Among many titles coming out this year that I'm excited about, only recently with various trusted impressions and previews (see opposable thumbs, gamereactor and video games daily) has Super Mario Galaxy 2 sprung above the cloud of anticipated titles this year. I can tell you right now part of this has to do with the elimination of the hub world. That's an irritation I had in the original straight up, not initially but once I was up to getting the 60th star, I was kinda getting shitty at having to go from one side of Rosa's mothership to the other just to get to the next level was tedious as shit. The other improvement is the elimination of narrative and I mean no offense to Yoshiaki Koizumi (like he would give a fuck anyway) but I did not give two shits about Rosa and her star bit crew, I personally would like to see Koizumi work on the next The Legend of Zelda game as I think he's got a lot of grand ideas that would better suit that franchise than Mario itself. Thirdly, the implementation of Yoshi and the new abilities both Mario and Yoshi can exploit have this game recognizing it's strengths and weakness in one master stroke.

Sometimes implementing new features in an established franchise isn't always as transcendent as they intend to be and quite frankly, it has taken Nintendo 11 years to truly gather it's chips and return to it's former glory that had everyone in awe. If Super Mario Galaxy was the step Nintendo took to return to the path of creative integrity, then Super Mario Galaxy 2 is looking to refine that integrity and craft the next best installment to the Mario franchise. It's also good to see Nintendo return to their former design philosophies in trial and error as well; there should never have to be one Mario title per generation.

+
  2. I'm with you on that; I've already preorded. I can't remember the last time I preordered a game... I think it's safe to say I have a lot of faith in this one.

BTW, Amazon.com is giving a $20 store credit if you preorder SMG 2 right now.

+
  3. Along with Metroid: The Other M, this just another game I plan on getting this year.

+
  4. @Son_Gara

Yes. Metroid: Other M is looking fabulous. The Wii is receiving some great titles this year. SMG2 is the game tying me over until Other M arrives and for some reason we're getting it 3 months after the states, lord knows why

+
  5. Here's what I want from Super Mario Galaxy 2 and probably will not get:
    Sands of Time/Braid rewind time mechanics.

I was disappointed that platforming innovation in this arena had to come from Ubisoft and an indie game rather than Miyamoto himself. He's been trying to solve the problem of platform games essentially being based around the formula of "fail over and over again until you succeed", which doesn't map well to gamers coming from a non-fiction (Wii Sports, etc) background. The best way to solve this problem is to make dying essentially irrelevant and since Galaxy places Mario on numerous small spheres, all they have to do is make sure he can never just jump off one of them and fall into space (I'm ignoring the problems around getting hit by bullets, fire, Goombas, etc to make my point). Instead, they intentionally designed black holes and other elements into the game so that by missing a jump in this complex 3d environment, you pay for it with a life (what's the purpose of that again?) and time by having to backtrack the level.

All this when Braid has solved the problem: pause the game and use a button to rewind to where you want to continue playing. It's SO easy!

Yet, Mario Galaxy 2 appears to admit that it was better accepted by "core gamers" and position itself accordingly. A missed opportunity, I say.

+
  6. @Rahul

...A missed opportunity, I say.

Perhaps, but at least SMG was worlds better than Super Mario Sunshine. I'm not sure Miyamoto & co have the innovation in them to produce what you're asking. They've hit on a solid formula and have pretty much stuck with it.

There's also the laziness...

+
  7. Oh come on. We can't be serious here about the time mechanic being used in a Mario game. Yes perhaps the life system is a little stale now, but for a Mario game it never is, why? Well because it's inherently apart of it's design. I mean are you telling me you want to get rid of this guy?

We KNOW that ain't gonna happen and why the hell should it? It's a traditional element in the Mario universe to have lives. The 1up mushroom is a challenge/reward element within the game itself for the player to obtain a life, so it's hardly arbitrary to have a life system if there is an interactive element that supports and engages the player to care about how many lives they have. I mean while we're at it, why just remove the life system when instead you can remove the entire universe, rules, mechanics and characters in place of something entirely new? Plus the actual proposition of using such a mechanic in this new found formula is quite ambitious and even on the verge of being completely contradictory with it's current level design.

It's also a little naive to consider Sands of Time a platformer as it really isn't. It has a complex fighting system for one that renders itself void of considering itself a pure platforming experience. Sure it has level designs that posits a set of repertoire skills that are similar to those of the platforming genre, but it's no where near as streamlined in twitch-style play that platformers represent.

+
  8. Why are you being so aggressive Pugz? I never said Sands of Time is a platformer, just that it innovated on game mechanics that platformers also use.

I'd actually be pretty impressed if they got rid of the 1up mushroom if it made for a better game. Right now, you still die to unnecessary shit in Galaxy and it causes frustration that needn't be caused. If they were truly designing a game for the up and coming graduate audience of Wii Fit and Sports etc. players (which they apparently are not, since NSMB Wii was meant for them and included innovation in a different way to handle frustration and difficulty) then I'd love them to try something like that.

+
  9. @Rahul

Woah, I didn't mean to sound aggressive if I was, I guess I just feel strongly about the life system in the Mario franchise. I apologize, I mean no harm, I am sensitive and have emotions too! Ah yes, rightio, I did misinterpret that sentence regarding Ubisoft and Braid, I apologize once again (geeez I fumbled the ball a few times on that one didn't I? ).

Now that's how out of the way, I think this "unnecessary shit" you speak of, is necessary to me. If I die, the chances are mostly because of a mistake I have made and thus I suffer the consequences for that mistake. Call me an old fart but I like the life system the way it is in SMG and SMG2 as I feel it's the heart of the challenge/reward model in that game. Don't get me wrong, I loved the time mechanic in Sands of Time, but it's all for different reasons and seeing such a thing in a Mario game makes me quiver just thinking about it, sure there should be alterations through out each iteration of the Mario franchise but there are things that should not be tampered with and the life system is one of them.

+
  10. I think the 1up system is hardly in need of revamping. There were quite a few levels in SMG where I died over and over again while I practiced up that particular challenge. If I didn't stock on lives or do the extra challenging bit to get the 1up for a net loss of zero on my death I would have lost the game.

+
    • ???
    • Thu October 29, 2020

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2200 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close