Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

The return of X-Com and it's transformation into the FPS genre

• 17 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts
  1. Nicely done, Pugz . After playing Bioshock recently, I'll follow anything 2K Games does that's closely related.

+
  2. @Matt After playing Bioshock two years ago, I'm staying way the fuck away from 2K Games.

+
  3. @Rahul didn't like Bioshock? Why the fuck not?

+
  4. @Matt The shooting gameplay was mediocre, the passive storyline was boring and drab, the atmosphere was initially interesting but never went anywhere, the story progression was horrible, the last boss and ending were one of the worst I've ever experienced. Don't get me started on the minigames...

+
  5. @Rahul

Yes yes! Finally someone who agrees with me! I picked up the collector's edition on PC the day it came out. The art design and what I read made it look very promising. Then it the story let me down, I guess I worked myself up a bit too much with all the promises I read online. I admit I have not played the entire game, but I've seen enough of the later stages including the end boss to know it's not a game for me.

+
  6. +
  7. Not having played X-Com, I suppose I can't be too upset. But I am weary anytime a company wants to turn something into an FPS. I generally don't associate that particular genre of games with quality. I associate it with mediocre, mass-market appeal. Based on the statement made by the company, it sounds like par for the course.

+
  8. +
  9. @Mr_Domino I've played quite a few good FPS, several on your list in fact. The key thing about your list is its single player focus and that (I believe) all those games started as FPS games. One of the only really good FPS I have played whose focus is multi-player is Tribes 2. This uncertainly, particularly with growing pains that come with re-genre-fication leaves me concerned.

+
  10. +
  11. @Mr_Domino and Rahul

I think I've confused you all a little. I am not an anti-fps person. The only two games between your two lists I didn't think are any good are Left 4 Dead and Half-Life 2 (I may actually be thinking of Half-Life, it's been a while). However I am a lot pickier with my FPSs than I am with something like RPGs. Why I play games is very much at odds with online play. People seem to expect online play out of FPSs. Doing a good job at that usually reduces the quality elsewhere, where I am more likely to have fun.

+
  12. @Nels

As far as regenrefication to FPS's all I have to say is Metroid Prime. Call it an adventure game if you must, but it was in first-person, and you shot things.

I do mostly agree with you, though. I've never gotten much into multiplayer in any game, mostly because the primary reason I play games most of the time is to get away from people.

+
  13. @Mr_Domino I was Shocked and amazed by how well Metroid made the transition. It is incredibly fun. Fallout 3 on the other hand.....

+
  14. The first half of BioShock I adored, it was after the twist that left me with great disappointment. Still, this is 2K Marin and not Irrational Games (apparently they're working on a new IP) developing this title and Jordon Thomas is at the helm. I see a pattern when members break off from one team to form another (in this case, some members from Irrational Games broke off to form 2K Marin) meaning that some of the younger blood get a chance at putting forth their creative potential to their fullest. It's exciting because Jordon Thomas is one of younglings from Irrational (he was one of the designers on the original BioShock) and now that he's proven himself with BioShock 2 he'll have the advantage of doing something more aesthetically liberating that's not tied down to Ken Levine's universe.

+
  15. I heard a lot about Bioshock, but I didn't really see what all the hype was about, I just never had the desire to play either of them, nothing really jumped out and spoke to me on a 'this looks awesome, you should play it' level...I still haven't played them and I don't intend to

+
  16. The first 10 minutes of BioShock was absolutely divine. The power of presence and the sequence of events transcending you to another world in that period of time was spellbinding. If only a game could consistently evoke such beauty and power through out it's entire length of playtime.

+
  17. @Pugz

It lasted considerably longer for me. I got up to the segment with Sander Cohen (the composer) before I realized it wasn't as good of a game as it was making itself out to be. I still haven't bothered playing past that part.

On a side note, though, Cohen's Masterpiece (the solo piano piece that plays several times throughout that portion) is phenomenal, and one of my favorite game pieces of recent years.

+
    • ???
    • Sat January 16, 2021

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2237 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close