Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

Albums/Artist you're currently listening to.

• 24 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts
  1. What are you gam.in peeps currently listening to?

For me right now it's Prince - Sign 'O' The Times.

+
  2. You, sir, have impeccable taste. Sign O The Times is one of the greatest achievements in the history of man. Well done!

+
  3. @Matt

Yea, it really is magnificent, right next to Dirty Mind and Lovesexy.

+
  4. @Pugz Dirty Mind is great, but is it really better than Sign O The Times? Sign is one of the only records I've ever heard that is able to move across genres seamlessly; witness "Adore" (R&B), "The Cross" (Rock), "Housequake" (Dance), "I Could Never Take The Place..." (Popish), and "If I Was Your Girlfriend" (???).

+
  5. I'm going through some kind of musical identity crisis - it's a pretty interesting aural space. Not sure what I even want to listen to, despite constantly feeling like I want to be listening to something awesome. So for now, pretty much anything will cut the mustard. Been genre-hopping like a psycho basically, whilst squeezing in various game music albums into the playlist for nostalgia's sake.

As for this very moment, jamming some Space Dimension Controller - funkalicious vibes.

+
  6. I've actually rather been enjoying Somewhere Close to Near, a solo soft rock album by former Ensemble Studios composer Stephen Rippy (who did the scores to the Age of Empires series and Halo Wars, among others). Turns out its actually his ninth studio album. Might have to track down the others.

+
  7. A lot of classical music lately.

Ralph Vaughan Williams, John Adams, Steve Reich, Anton Bruckner, Maurice Ravel, and Aaron Copland.

+
  8. @Nels

Steve Reich is the shiieet. Love his stuff even though I don't own any albums.

Speaking of 20th century compositional music, I'm currently listening to Igor Stravinsky - Symphony of Psalms.

+
  9. @Pugz Oh man do I love me some Steve Reich. I've met people that like a fair bit of his stuff. But I've met no one else besides myself who enjoys It's Gonna Rain or Come Out.

+
  10. @Nels

I actually relatively recently picked up an album called Reich Remixed that had a lot of his music retooled by artists like DJ Spooky and Ken Ishii. Its rather entertaining.

+
  11. Hey Nels, have you checked out Reich's Music For 18 Musicians? I love what I've heard so far. Oh and if you like minimalist music, you should definitely check out Michael Nyman, he's done some exceptional work (especially with director Peter Greenaway), he even did a video game soundtrack that Domino and Kanji should check out called Enemy Zero on the Sega Saturn.

+
  12. @Pugz Yeah, I have a recording of Music for 18 Musicians. It was the first recording of Steve Reich that I purchased .

I like Michael Nyman, but he hasn't found his way into any more my internet radio stations. I really enjoyed his soundtrack to Gattaca. My old roommate was heavy into that one summer so I've heard it quite a bit (not to mention the movie is one of my top favorites). I'll check out Enemy Zero

+
  13. @Pugz Hey check this out: NPR has the full recording of two of Reich's newest pieces in full on their website until the CD's release September 14. Double Sextet (which won Reich a Pulitzer) and 2x5.

+
  14. Just listening to some samples of Queen's II album. Um, I think I should get this pronto! It sounds AWESOME. EDIT Should? I can certainly say now that I fucking will. This album is incredible!!!

+
  15. @Pugz It's good, but not nearly as good as A Night at the Opera, or even Sheer Heart Attack!!

+
  16. I was listening to Queen II tonight and my thoughts were that it's a lot better than I remember it being. Even though it lacks the massive hits and stand-out tracks of other Queen albums (though it does have Seven Seas of Rhye!), it really is spectacular as a whole piece. I think there's a lot of evidence here that Queen would soon rise as the great glam rock band of the ages. How blind I was to not see it before!

+
  17. I've just rediscovered Adventure, the unreleased studio album by Lifestyle, fronted by Sean Drinkwater, who is now (and also was at the time) a member of Freezepop, who have had songs featured in FreQuency, Amplitude, Guitar Hero, Guitar Hero II, Rock Band, Phase, and several Dance Dance Revolution titles.

For something that never got an official release (and was thereby released for free over the interwebs - click the title) its a truly phenomenal album, especially if you like the genre (think Journey meets the Pet Shop Boys with a bit of mid-period Bowie thrown in). I listened to it incessantly about a year ago when it was first released, and have been listening to it incessantly again the past few days. Its worth a listen. Also, here's some Album Art I made for it, because I'm one of those anal-retentive freaks that has to have my music library meticulously organized.

+
  18. I just finished watching Che after three nights of watching (it's like 68 hours long, but worth it), and it concluded with a song by Mercedes Sosa, the Argentine folk singer who was at the vanguard of the so-called "New Song" movement in Latin America in the 1960's and 70's. I thought it was a very appropriate conclusion the movie, and I found the song to be moving and powerful despite not knowing any of the words (save for "guitarra", etc.). Anyway, here it is.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4LJDTlviKw[/video]

+
  19. Beautiful. Great guitar comping. Loved the subtle percussion that came later in the song.

I still need to watch the second part of that film.

• EDIT* Was just listening to Swarming Hordes. Nu-jazz metal from Seattle. Classic.
    +
  20. been mesmerized by the sounds of Flying Lotus lately, definitely one to keep an ear out for in modern hip-hop (and modern music in general.) Heard a few dudes make the pretentious claim that he is to beats what Hendrix was to rock, and I well... I wouldn't DISagree, haha:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFix7VLor88[/video]

+
  21. Well, it probably comes as no surprise that I've been listening to complete madness.

BEHOLD! ODZ MANOUK!!!

Probably not anyone's cup of tea, but I just think this cover is fascinating. I really want to find out who did the original...

+
  22. I've been listening to the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Soundtrack that came with the limited edition version of the game. Love it

In addition, I'm also listening to Powerglove's "Saturday Morning Apocalypse" and it is incredible

Plus a ton of other random shit

+
  23. Yeah, still listening to pretty much the same stuff already mentioned here. The one thing I'll add is the album All Nighters by the Barrymores.

http://www.myspace.com/thebarrymores/music/albums/all-nighters-12530043

I've been pretty disinterested in ska-punk recently (still very much interested in more traditional ska, though), but this album blew me away. I hadn't been so impressed with a ska-punk album since I heard Purr by the Dance Hall Crashers about 4 or 5 (6?) years ago.

+
  24. Freezepop's new album "Imaginary Friends" is out and is utterly fantastic. You can download the single for free at the link.

+
    • ???
    • Fri November 27, 2020

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2283 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close