Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

We forgot Super Mario World

• 4 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts

Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  1. A couple years ago my girlfriend made me get her Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Castlevania IV on the Virtual Console because she had such fond memories of them and my "modern games" (she played games as a younger teenager but then stopped until she met me in her twenties) didn't have that same quality to them.

She played the first two levels of Sonic and then quit, citing the controls as unplayable.

She also played the first two levels of Castlevania, but somehow couldn't get past this one part where you have to fight a skeleton that throws stuff at you and jumps between two platforms.

This was 2008. She hasn't played them since and curses my name if I dare to bring them up again.

+

2. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  3. I think it's partly nostalgia, but a lot of it is skill. The games we play today require a different kind of skill to play. Games on the Super Nintendo and the like require practice to be good. It's not surprising if your favorite game that was once so easy mops the floor with you now. We just aren't playing games like that anymore with much frequency. Why do you think so many FPS games have such similar controls? It's the same reason so many side scrolling platformers did too. So that when you've played another game for 40 hours you can easily start playing a new one without much extra effort.

Summary: It's not that the games were easy, it's that we'd played enough of them for them to become easy. It's not bad design, it's us being out of practice.

+

4. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  5. +

6. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  7. @Matt Strangely, I didn't play Super Metroid until over 10 years after its release. When I finally sat down to play it one summer a couple years ago I had a blast. I wasn't using any sort of FAQ, so I got stuck a little over half way. After being stumped for a few days the friend I was borrowing it from came over and beat the remainder from memory for me while I watched and wrote computer code.

Around the same time I played my old copy of Donkey Kong Country and it didn't age as well, but still a very enjoyable experience. I didn't find the difficulty too much higher after all these years. But then again, I'm the only one of my 7 to 9 friends growing up with the game that was never able to beat King K. Rule (I can't remember if my sisters ever beat him, they were better at platformers than me). My friends and I beat about the first third of the game in just a few hours that summer. We didn't pick it back up again though.

I've noticed this trend of rereviewing old games. I can't say I am a fan of it. Chiefly because of issues like Super Mario World here. We just don't approach video games are made and how they are played the same way anymore. And many rereviewers don't seem to understand that. It's like knocking a novel or play written in the 1800s down a few notches because the grammar structure, dialect, idiom, etc. no longer fit with our current system. Sure it makes it more difficult to read and less accessible, but everything else is still there.

+
    • ???
    • Sat November 27, 2021

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2306 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close