Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

Where are the new consoles?

• 8 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts
  1. ...no one in the industry truly believes they have come close to tapping the full potential of any machine.

Developers like to do that before moving on to the next system. Often, the defining games of a system come just before it is overshadowed by its successor. The PS2 favorite "God of War" hit stores just as rumbles about the PlayStation 3 were beginning to build. And smash shooter "Perfect Dark" was released for the N64 when many people were more curious about the forthcoming GameCube.

That's really true, isn't it? I think you can say the same thing about Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island; I don't remember it being a big hit at a time when N64 was impending, despite the game being arguably the finest 2D platformer of all time.

+
  2. +
  3. And lets not forget the dearth of excellent PS1 titles that continued being put out even after the PS2 was dominant.

I think the generational turnover is going to slow down considerably now that we've reached such a high technological level, because we're reaching ever closer to the unreachable line, and therefore our progress must slow to accommodate that.

+
  4. "the unreachable line"? I'm not sure Moore would agree with you. For progress to slow consumers would have to be fine with sub-standard computing power, given that it doubles every 24 months. There is a market for retro titles like Mega Man 9 and indie games that are smaller in scope and power, but it's a small one (albeit growing).

+
  5. @Matt I saw a presentation on Moore's Law by an engineer who is an expert in transistors. He agreed that it is startling accurate, but it does break down. Eventually companies switch focus into other categories of improvement (such as cost reduction). This can be seen in the airline industry as well. Focus shifted from ultra large and super fast to more economical designs. If the video game industry has reached the point that continued graphical and audio improvement isn't necessary they will switch to other forms of improvement. Motion control is one angle, 3d is another. Making an entire new system for this may not be needed. So will not be surprised either if the next generation is simply adding things on to the current hardware than completely new systems. Especially when the cost of current systems are sold at a loss.

+
  6. Right, they mentioned just such a situation in the article I linked to in my previous post. Interesting stuff!

I don't know if the console companies really worry about selling systems at a loss, though. Nintendo has never done so, and Sony has reportedly broken even and is now making money on every console sold (proof positive that Moore is still in effect ATM).

+
  7. The new consoles will be arriving at the end of this year. They are Move and Kinect.

+
  8. @Pugz

In that case, this will be the first console generation I'm completely bypassing since the NES era.

+
  9. Log in to post a reply.

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2365 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close