Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

Following Final Fantasy XIII, an exodus at Square Enix

• 3 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts

Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  1. I am aware that turnover is a huge problem in the video game industry. It's kept under the rug a fair bit so I don't have much of an idea about how this compares. Either way though, it sounds very bad.

Are all the new, good games (they exist) by Square Enix mainly headed by these old guard? Basically, is SE is losing so much of its high quality personnel, does it have any promising replacements?

+

2. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  3. @Nels

I am aware that turnover is a huge problem in the video game industry.

It may just be that here we've followed Square more closely than others, but that seems especially true for that company.

However, I wonder how Nintendo manages to keep its talent? I've never heard of them losing any key designers, ever (save Gunpei Yokoi...). Indeed, all their veterans -- Eiji Aonuma, Yoshio Sakamoto, Hideki Konno, Koji Kondo, Shigeru Miyamoto -- seem to all be firmly in place.

+

4. Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, bool given in /home/ninsiteuser/public_old/bin/php/class.user.php on line 79
  5. The other thing here is composers seem to regularly leave to become independent - it suits the job role. I imagine it's harder to be a freelance game programmer than a game composer. The fact that a number of people in totally different roles left around the same time doesn't suggest positive things.

As far as replacements Masashi Hamauzu was one of the few composers left in Square Enix that I really respected, and now he's gone.

FYI their current line up of composers consists of:

The remaining sound staff are sound editors or manipulators (and only occasionally providing compositions). I imagine they'll be hiring new staff soon. Either that or they'll just hire freelancers a lot more in the future.

+
    • ???
    • Sat November 27, 2021

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2489 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close