Videogam.in, a site about videogames

Welcome to Videogam.in, a site about videogames. Read more about this site or else pay me for the door repair charge.

Mega Man Legends 3 is the latest in a string of 3DS casualties

• 6 unread posts
  • up key  +  up key down key
  • Jump between unread posts
  1. +
  2. @Matt I bought a Nintendo DS Lite recently, but I fully intended to trade up in a year or two provided I enjoyed the experience (it's my first handheld). So far it's going great. I really like what I've read about the 3DS and how it felt trying it out in the store, so I am at this point fully expect to make the switch. I would be quite disappointed if it were not there anymore.

+
  3. @Matt let's not forget titles like Animal Crossing 3D, the new Pokemon title and Mario Kart 3DS. I anticipate that sales will pick up after these are all out.

That said, I know a lot of older gamers are becoming ambivalent towards Nintendo - they rehash the same game worlds over and over and build consoles just to provide new tech for the same game franchises. I think this has worked well in the past, but I know a lot of people are growing tired of the Mario and Zelda formulas.

Personally, Nintendo seem to be aiming at people who aren't me these days with their casual formula. I will have to re-play Twilight Princess, but there was something wrong with it...I think it was just too formulaic. More of the same stuff with no real improvement - a new control method (on the Wii) wasn't really what I was looking for. The gameplay was the same old staple stuff - nothing new graphics-wise either.

We'll see how it all goes, but some are speculating that the portable consoles will all die out as casual gamers shift their attention to more accessible (financially) mobile phones and tablet devices.

P.S: Also worth pointing out that Hudson Soft is a middle-ground company. Not a giant (say Konami), and also not an Indie company. It's been said being a middle-ground company in the gaming industry these days is extremely challenging (and hard to stay afloat).

+
  4. @Alex I don't know much about Animal Crossing or Mario Kart, but I bought my 3DS for Pikmin 3, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and crossing my fingers for a new Advance Wars. However, two of those games are from second parties (Sora, Intelligent Systems). Games like Super Mario Galaxy prove that Nintendo is still capable of thinking outside the box and making spectacular games, but most of the good Wii and DS games were from second- or third-parties. I'm thinking of Zack and Wiki, DKC Returns, Smash Bros, Wario Land Shake, Dragon Quest IX, Advance Wars, Ghost Trick, Professor Layton, et al.

However, if Nintendo is getting lazy with the games it develops, can't we agree that they are still making the best game consoles in the world? DS was far and away the best handheld console ever, Wii was a revelation, Sony and Microsoft copy what Nintendo does, 3DS has the potential to be truly amazing, and Wii U could continue the trend (read this poorly written yet somehow informative and enlightening editorial from Kotaku: The Wii U Has One Big Problem, But Still May Be the Signature Gaming Console of Our Times).

+
  5. @Matt I'm not saying I'll be picking up Animal Crossing 3D, just pointing out the cash cows. Super Mario Galaxy is indeed awesome, but Twilight Princess (and apparently Metroid: Other M for some) wasn't so great. They need the same kind of creative injection into all their major franchises, not just Mario.

The consoles yes are great - but if the actual games suck it's only a matter of time before people will stop buying them. We'll see what happens when the next lot of franchise titles come out and hopefully they don't suck!

+
  6. No Bomberman! God dammit Nintendo!

+
    • ???
    • Thu November 26, 2020

Don't have an account? Register in about a minute.
Topic #2547 · Invisible to nobody · Closed to nobody older · newer
Close
Login with Facebook Login with Steam
close