Five years after series creator Shigeru Miyamoto hinted at the reality of a third Pikmin game, Pikmin 3 was finally presented for the first time at E3 2012. Taking advantage of Wii U hardware, the game looks beautiful albeit with few surprises yet revealed. The only new addition known is a new "Rock Pikmin" tossed at breakable surfaces like glass walls or armored creatures.
The Return of an Army. In Pikmin 3, players will rediscover the beautiful worlds and strange creatures of the previous Pikmin games.
- Play using Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuk-based controls or the Wii U GamePad controller. With new intuitive controls that make it possible to aim at objects directly, players can command their tiny, yet powerful, squads in different ways.
- The Wii U GamePad acts as an overhead map and radar to track Pikmin movements in real time. Slide a finger across the touch screen to quickly switch between areas, giving greater flexibility in commanding multiple groups of Pikmin.
- The greater processing and HD capabilities of the Wii U console are put to extensive use, resulting in a more intricately designed world, enhanced ant-like movement of the Pikmin and precisely detailed overhead views for enabling easier strategic use of the Pikmin.
- After completing a stage, the replay feature allows players the option to review their results using the GamePad and TV. Fast-forward, rewind or pause while assessing the previous mission to decide on other paths.
- In addition to the five original types of Pikmin encountered in previous games, the new Rock Pikmin bring powerful new abilities and are able to crack hard outer shells of enemies and break through solid barriers.
- There are several modes in the game, including the return of Pikmin 2's Challenge Mode, which asks the player to collect a maximal number of fruits within a predefined amount of time.